Chkdisk doesn't finish on a good hard drive

Windows Vista Utilities

johnprtl is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chkdisk doesn't finish on a good hard drive
Hi,
I have a perplexing problem with my Thinkpad X61 with Vista Ultimate.
It has a 160 gig sata Hitatchi hd. If I try to run chkdsk as a normal maintenance task, it runs until it gets to 85% on the final stage, checking freespace. It always stops at the same place. Yet, if I put the drive in a hd enclosure and run chkdsk on it from my XP machine, it runs fine and finds no errors.
IBM sent me a replacement hard drive which I set up with backups from the first drive. It appears that I have cloned the problem, because both drives act exactly the same.
Is there some file that chkdsk uses that has been corrupted? I don't have a Vista installation cd, so I have to get whatever I need from another source.
Any advice is much appreciated.
John

rrader is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Chkdisk doesn't finish on a good hard drive
Maybe this information will help you:

1. Hard disk drive repair and diagnostics
2. Hard Disk Drive Magnetic Surface Degradation
Let's do this quickly!
SMARTHDD monitoring system

LordCR is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Chkdisk doesn't finish on a good hard drive
John,

I had, apparently, the same thing happen on my laptop. Checkdisk seems slower in Vista than in XP. Much slower. I start check disk and it runs at normal XP speed to about at 50%, then it seems to just sit there and not advance. For a few times, I thought it was just freezing, so I'd power off the laptop and skip the check. This upset me and I wanted to fix it, so one day I left it alone for 10 or 15 minutes and came back and noticed it had incremented some but it was advancing very very slowly. So now I run it overnight. I don't know what's up with this. But that's how I got around this problem. You may have the same problem I did and just not be aware of it. Otherwise your problem appears to be the same as mine because of the symptoms, but is actually different.

-Chad