Windows Update Error 641

Windows Vista Update

Bobf is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Windows Update Error 641
I have a Dell computer running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I tried to run windows update to get the monthly updates. It shows I have 12 important updates, 3 for .net framework, 8 for Windows Office 2007 & 1 for Microsoft Silverlight.

I have tried the following: (from Microsoft website)

Follow the methods mentioned below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Follow the steps in the link and check if the issue persists:

You cannot install some updates or programs

Method 2:

Download and install KB2598041 and KB2596871 manually from the following link and check if you are to install it:

Download: Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2598041) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Download: Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596871) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Method 3:

You may try the suggestion mentioned in the following link:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, - Microsoft Answers

I also tried (again from the Microsoft website

Follow these methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:
Follow the troubleshooting steps from the article and check it helps.
Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
Troubleshoot problems with installing updates - WindowsUpdate_dt000

Method 2:

Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working

Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working

Method 3:
Try downloading the updates and install manually in clean boot and check if it helps.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
Note: Do not forget to boot your machine back to normal mode by following step 7 from the link.

Try the following steps to download and install the updates manually

i) Click on Start, type Windows updates in the start search box.

ii) Click on View update history.

iii) Make a note of the updates which are failed and type the kb number as mentioned below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/kb number

For eg:

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

Method 4:

Try to disable antivirus and firewall and try to install updates
Disable antivirus software

Turn Windows Firewall on or off

Turn Windows Firewall on or off

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your anti virus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your anti virus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Note: You should not turn off Windows Firewall unless you have another firewall enabled. Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from worms or hackers.

Method 5:

Try doing a System Scan. The scan will look for bad system files and will attempt to repair them, if possible.

a) Click the Start Button.
b) Type cmd in the search results.
c) Right-click the cmd file and select 'Run as Administrator'.
d) In the CMD window, type sfc /scannow and hit the Enter key.

e) Wait until the scan is complete.
f) Reboot and see if that resolves the issue.

or

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Method 6:

Step 1:

Reset the Windows Update Component from the link mentioned below

Step 2:

Install latest Windows Update agent

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer
Restart the Computer and install Windows Updates

I hope someone can help
Thank you
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobf For This Useful Post:

Pyedog is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update Error 641
Bobf, did you ever resolve your issue with Vista? I have the exact same problem with the same 12 updates. I have yet to figure out how to fix this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobf View Post
[...]

Originally Posted by Pyedog View Post
Bobf, did you ever resolve your issue with Vista? I have the exact same problem with the same 12 updates. I have yet to figure out how to fix this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I resolved the problem after contacting Microsoft. i found that the windows Installer was removed from my system, by a registry cleaner.(I since uninstaller it & will not install a registry cleaner again.)

Please read thru the attached link to see how I fixed my problems.

windods update (error code 641) - Microsoft Answers

Bob