Backup & Restore Center - Backing up to multiple DVD's

Windows Vista Ultimate

Newbie

Dalton is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backup & Restore Center - Backing up to multiple DVD's
Has anyone here seen the problem when you are doing a complete backup that requires more than one DVD that the program keeps writing the first DVD over and over?

Details:

I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate (formatted the disk and installed)
I ran Windows Update and installed all patches.
I then did a complete backup. This worked as it required less that a full DVD.
I then installed Office 2007 (Word, Excell, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, but not OneNote or the other options)
I then ran Windows Update and installed all patches.
I then ran the Complete Backup again to get a set of restore disk that would get me to a clean Vista with a clean Office 2007.

When running the Complete Backup, it worked as before, asking me to lable the blank disk and incert it. It then proceded to write the DVD as before. HOWEVER, when the DVD was full, the system did not eject the DVD and prompted to label another disk exactly as before. Exactly as before. Aslo the system would not eject the DVD. I removed the DVD by sticking a pin in the drive to release the DVD and then incerted the new blank DVD. The system formatted the DVD and the display reverted to the beginning of the progress bar and it wrote the second DVD.

When that DVD was full, the same thing happened. The DVD did not eject, I was prompted to lable another blank DVD exactly as before. I had to manually eject the DVD. It formatted the DVD and started over at the beginning again.

I did this for a total of five (5) dvd's. Then rebooted the system and tried the process again with the same result.

The only thing on the system is a patched version of Visa Ultimate and patched Office 2007. There is nothing else on the system. It might take more than one DVD to back the system up, but certainly not five.

Can anyone help me with this problem?
Thanks,
Dalton Williams
Sailboat Quietly
Sailing in the Caribbean
dalton@dwill.com
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi Dalton,
welcome aboard

When you start your backup do you get a screen like in the attachment
http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/att...1&d=1185053438

does it say how many DVD's you need?

How long did you wait to see if the DVD drawer opened? Was the DVD being finalised? If so it may take a while.

It may be starting over because it has not seen itself finish DVD No. 1

Can you write to the DVD's normally, like copying files over?

regards

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backup_screen.jpg (22.7 KB, 12 views)
Newbie

Dalton is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your response Steve.

Yes I get exactly that screen.

I waited what seamed a long time as in 5 to 10 minutes. Starting over again it had not ejected after an hour. The last try I let is wait over night with the power features set to never sleep.

Yes, I can burn DVD's normally both before and after attempting the backup.

When trying the backup, just in case I used different brands of media on the different attempts. (Memorex, Verbatum, Office Depot, Sony)

The hardware is an IBM Thinkpad R50, Multi Burner, 1.25G Memory.

Can you explain to me why Vista wants to finalize DVD's when Sonic, Burn My Files, and others do not? Vista is also almost twice a slow as Sonic and Burn My Files when writing to CD's and DVD's it that is a clue.

Thanks,
Dalton