Please help a desperate, tired, frustrated woman ;)

Windows Vista Ultimate

peapodgrrl is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help a desperate, tired, frustrated woman ;)
I have definitely seen this problem listed here before. However, I have not seen any solutions.

I am ready to take the computer and toss it out the window.

I have no sound because the volume slider keeps dropping to zero.

It happens on ALL software that is sound-related.

Vista says my drivers are up to date. I downloaded a sound program that was supposed to override everything, but those sliders, too, dropped to zero.

I am not a computer idiot, I am pretty good with them. I'm not a brain surgeon, but I am in the upper percentile of being savvy with software (not hardware) issues.

We unplugged the mouse, keyboard and speakers and replugged.
We checked to see if we need a device driver upgrade.

I don't know what to do anymore. I spent most of my day on my computer--I am a professional artist, I run a business, and I can't design without my music or my other noise in the background.

Please, please, someone help me. Even my IT guy says he doesn't know what is wrong.

If you need me to gather info of some kind, please tell me what to do and I will do it with gratitude and hope. I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this. I know I sound like an "emotional female", but this is really really upsetting me, big time.

Thank you.

Location: Calgary
Jim.R is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Please help a desperate, tired, frustrated woman ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peapodgrrl View Post
[...]

Got a Desktop Computer?

Possible that you have Multi-Media type of keyboard, and one of the dedicated multi-media keys is stuck down. Look for something marked vol (-)
or a speaker icon with a (-) with it.

Turn off computer and try a different keyboard (any standard one compatible with the port your present kb plugs into; eg USB or PS/2) to see if this cures problem after you restart.

Is it a Laptop Computer?

Same possible situation. Laptops often have keys to adjust volume. It may be stuck down, if so, you may need a tech with laptop experience to check it out. Laptops are not very user friendly to work on

Jim

angel123 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Please help a desperate, tired, frustrated woman ;)
Hi..
Whatever trial i wanted to tell you is already done by yourself..Even i am not too brainy to find out the problem..I think it is better to meet some technician and try to know the reason behind the problem..Then you can come up with the solution i suppose..And please do not forget to update me with that..I am eager to see what is the cause for it..