Forced Boot Drive letter change - Can't change back

Windows Vista Ultimate

jijiv.04 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forced Boot Drive letter change - Can't change back
I would like to preface this story by saying I know how stupid i am. I didn't back anything up and played with partitions, and frankly I'm ashamed to be telling this story here. That said...

I was running a dual-boot system with both XP and Vista. I decided to nuke my xp partition and extend the vista partition to take up my whole HDD using gparted livecd, but in the process, to my horror, I deleted my MBR. BIOS gave a message to the effect of "Insert boot media and restart."

After unsuccessful attempts to rebuild it by command line in the vista recovery console, I used gparted once more to create a small partition which i planned to install xp on and use easybcd from there to fix my problem. When I rebooted out of gparted, the bios gave a different message, this time something like "MBR missing. Press Ctrl+alt+del to reboot." At this, my heart leapt within me, and I went straight back to Windows Vista Recovery console. It was able to rebuild my MBR.

I booted into vista, and to my renewed horror, the small partition i had planned to put xp on was now labeled C: and my Vista partition had become D:. I can't log in to my admin profile. Vista is obviously barely functioning, I'm surprised it even boots. I have to use task manager to bring up explorer.exe, and it's not good for much.

So my obvious task is to change the driveletter without effing up my MBR again. Any tips? Any good livecds that can pull this off?

edit: I already deleted c: with gparted, but d: did not reassign its letter.

Last edited by jijiv.04 : 06-07-2010 at 03:41.

jijiv.04 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Forced Boot Drive letter change - Can't change back
update: i just booted into recover console and the location given for my vista install is C:. Is there hope for me yet?

jijiv.04 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Forced Boot Drive letter change - Can't change back
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijiv.04 View Post
update: i just booted into recover console and the location given for my vista install is C:. Is there hope for me yet?
is this in the wrong subforum? sorry if it is.

jijiv.04 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Forced Boot Drive letter change - Can't change back
Issue has been solved. I used GParted to create another new partition, this time to the left of my boot drive. Letters were reassigned, and the boot drive, furthest to the right, received the C: designation.

Outstanding.