Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista hanging for no reason

Windows Vista Ultimate

Speedup My PC
Old 07-26-2009

Ceberus is on a distinguished road
Vista hanging for no reason
Turned my PC on today, it boots up into windows then gets stuck.

The problem is, it loads into windows, loads the icons into the taskbar etc, but then, as soon as you try to run something, the litle spinning circle comes up and you can't do anything.
If you keep clicking the desktop gets the white background thing that Vista does when it crashes.
I can open COMODO from the taskbar, and that seems to work, however if I try to open Firefox for example, it just doesn't respond, same thing with Thunderbird and Word etc, theres just no attempt at all at opening the program.
If I click on the start menu, it opens, but then the right half where 'Documents', 'Music' etc are isn't visible, and clicking on any apps either causes a crash or nothing happens.

Ctrl + Alt + Del has no effect, and neither does ctrl + shift + esc.

The Computer works fine in Safe Mode, and Safe mode with networking.

The Computer was working fine all day yesterday and has been for ages, nothing has been changed recently, no new programs have been installed. Everything is the same this morning as it was yesterday.

I've ran Windows Defender doing a scan in safe mode and that didn't pick anything up, I doubt very much that its a virus.

I've run a system restore and restored back to a few days ago, it didn't help though, only difference was that the start menu fully opened, I could see left and right sections and could open 'all programs' but any attempt at trying to run a program had no effect and usually caused a 'crash'.

The computer never really 'crashes' though, it just seems to run extremely slow, and I mean really really slow. I never get a BSOD or anything like that, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it could possibly be, or what I can try?

I really don't want to have to reinstall Vista as I've not long done it, and its taken forever to get everything back how I like it, but its looking like it may be the only option.

Thanks

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2009

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Re: Vista hanging for no reason
to many services running at boot up can cause this,try setting some to manual and let them run when needed,which hang is it -wdi.dll??service host??
Old 08-14-2009

13th_Panther is on a distinguished road
too many things on the start up will make it freez like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceberus View Post
Turned my PC on today, it boots up into windows then gets stuck.

The problem is, it loads into windows, loads the icons into the taskbar etc, but then, as soon as you try to run something, the litle spinning circle comes up and you can't do anything.
If you keep clicking the desktop gets the white background thing that Vista does when it crashes.
I can open COMODO from the taskbar, and that seems to work, however if I try to open Firefox for example, it just doesn't respond, same thing with Thunderbird and Word etc, theres just no attempt at all at opening the program.
If I click on the start menu, it opens, but then the right half where 'Documents', 'Music' etc are isn't visible, and clicking on any apps either causes a crash or nothing happens.

Ctrl + Alt + Del has no effect, and neither does ctrl + shift + esc.

The Computer works fine in Safe Mode, and Safe mode with networking.

The Computer was working fine all day yesterday and has been for ages, nothing has been changed recently, no new programs have been installed. Everything is the same this morning as it was yesterday.

I've ran Windows Defender doing a scan in safe mode and that didn't pick anything up, I doubt very much that its a virus.

I've run a system restore and restored back to a few days ago, it didn't help though, only difference was that the start menu fully opened, I could see left and right sections and could open 'all programs' but any attempt at trying to run a program had no effect and usually caused a 'crash'.

The computer never really 'crashes' though, it just seems to run extremely slow, and I mean really really slow. I never get a BSOD or anything like that, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it could possibly be, or what I can try?

I really don't want to have to reinstall Vista as I've not long done it, and its taken forever to get everything back how I like it, but its looking like it may be the only option.

Thanks

Thomas
Old 08-14-2009

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
mmm? i think a reinstall might be needed,or hardware failure,can u access anything,if u can try update your drivers,if youve lost hotkey functions its not a good sign,sorry,do a clean install