Sync Error - Access Denied

Windows Vista Ultimate

chefsambocakes is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sync Error - Access Denied
I've seen many posts and even some saying they found a solution to this problem, mine appears to be different in some aspects. Try this one on for size.

We are running a small business network made up of Desktop/Laptop machines. All the machines are running XP-Pro SP3. The problematic machine im posting about, is a Vista64 Ultimate SP1 machine. ALL these machines are tied into a local server (running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2). And part of a network with a domain. All these machines are setup to store their files on the server (for data security reasons) these machines are also running MS Office 2007 SP1 and are storing their *.pst files on the server as well. Here is an example of a data path and how its setup.

\\server\<username>$\work this is the location of the user’s data.
\\server\<username>$\mail this is the location of the user’s e-mail.

The e-mail on the PITA vista machine is working fine, no problems at all. The documents end of things are where im running into trouble.

By default the location for the user’s files were.. C:\Users\<username>\Documents I remapped that folder to point to the …\work directory mentioned above like I did for all the XP machines, and no problems, I see files I can access them, edit, delete etc.

Here’s where it gets goofy… like the XP machines I have Offline Files turned on so should the server be down, (for maintenance or failure) they have immedate copies of files on their PC to minimize downtime. When I enable Offline Files on the vista machine, I get 26 sync errors, the reason “Access Denied” a majority of the files are locatied in \\server\<username>$\work\DIR when i try to open that location to view the files, they are gone. If I log onto the server either directly or through a remote desktop session, and open that directory, the files are still there. Furthermore, if I turn off the Offline Files feature in Vista, the files return, and I have full access to name/delete/edit etc. this is a repeatable error im running into. Now im sure your thinking….. permissions …. Well here’s what ive tried..

First off like the XP machines, I gave the user Admin privs on the local machnine (to allow full access rights to applications) so locally on her PC she’s an Admin.

Anyone have some ideas as to where to go from here?