problems opening zip files in IE

Windows Vista Ultimate

fein1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
problems opening zip files in IE
have a big problem with opening ZIP files with Internet Explorer. Whenever I try to open a ZIP file with IE something very unpleasant starts to happen: IE window starts blinking - pops-up and closes, pops-up and closes...and again, and again... And I can't find the way to stop that. The first time that problem occured I was very frightened because I thought that my computer was going to crash. I couldn't even shut down because the Start menu was disabled during that stuppid blinking, so I had to unplug the computer from the circuit. After a certain time of experiencing this problem I found out that blinking stops by itself (ending with message which says that IE cannot open the file because the file name is too long). But it is very poor solution because sometimes that annoying blinking lasts more than one hour (probably depending on the size of the file) before it stops in that way. Of course, by time, I learned how to avoid this problem - I first extract files before opening them - but sometimes, in hurry, I forget to do that and problem never miss to appear, with all it's bad consequences. So I ask someone to tell me: is there any possible way (other than rebooting or unpluging the computer) to stop that awful blinking of IE window when it starts? And why on Earth it happens at all? I have Vista Ultimate on my PC. Appreciate any help you could give me.

hr.storm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: problems opening zip files in IE
Hi there. This is just for future similar problems (guess the user who posted his/her problem, has found the solution by now.

The problem is, that you have somehow changed the standard program for the .zip file extension.

This web page has a solution. Just download the registry file, and install. It will put .zip extensions back to standard settings.

File association fixes for Windows Vista

Best regards

S°ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by fein1 View Post
[...]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hr.storm For This Useful Post:

donald1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: problems opening zip files in IE
u may modify ur setting.
* Click the Start Orb
* Search regedit
* Click Continue on the User Account Control
* Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip
* Click to the left of the .zip folder
* Right click OpenWithList
* Click Export
* Choose the location and name of the backup
* Click Save
* Right click OpenWithList
* Click Delete
* Click Yes
* Right click UserChoice
* Click Export
* Choose the location and name of the backup
* Click Save
* Right Click UserChoice
* Click Delete
* Click Yes