Mysterious daily system lock-up

Windows Vista Ultimate

piemanpete is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mysterious daily system lock-up
This is a strange one. For the last few weeks, about mid to late afternoon, my PC stops working. Running applications are ok, but I can no longer get anywhere on the internet and I get an error message saying something about browser hooks. No AV or other app is set to run at this time as far as I know.

If I try and launch *any* program after that, I get an error dialog saying there is no program associated with the shortcut. This looks a bit like the old 'can't find path' errors you used to get in the days of MS-DOS and early versions of Windows.

If I invoke the task manager with ctrl-alt+del I get another dialog saying could not create security dialog!

At this point I have to do a hard reboot as the machine will not do anything, including shutting down.

I've run the system file checker and it does say that some files are corrupted but could not be replaced - of course it doesn't say why.

I suspected a problem with Firefox - I am running the latest version btw - so I tried using Google Chrome for a day or two and it still locked up.

My PC is firewalled and AV'd to the max - Zone Alarm total security suite. I regulary run Registry Mechanic to clean up the registry.

I've been configuring and fixing PCs for around 20 years now, but this one's got me - bit like today's cars - so sophisticated you need electronic diagnostic equipment to find out what's wrong with them.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd be very reluctant to have to fdisk the PC and start again - too much stuff installed.

I've created a text file containing the chunk of my CBS.Log file that includes the system file checker report and am happy to send it to anyone who thinks they can help.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

erenoth2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Mysterious daily system lock-up
I came across a similar problem once, I believe it might have somthing to do with firefox, it was on my sisters computer, the only thing she could do was pull the plug on her system, so I ran trend micro house call and it identified the firefox browser as a virus, im not sure why but i think it had somthing to do with a virus or trojan, i proceded to delete the firefox program and installed the newest internet explorer and finally i was able to remove the virus assocated with it.

However my sister isnt very technology savy, and she wanted the firefox browser back even though the computer ran perfectally, and later on the same problem came back later on for her but she wouldnt let me touch her computer after i deleted her favorite web browser, and after she couldnt find anyone who could fix her desktop she threw it away and bought a mac instead.

Im not that thorough with every mishap however, with experience ive found that the firefox browser causes more problems than it helps with, ive had it installed a few times and i keep running into more viruses and computer problems untill i just uninstall it and switch back to internet explorer.

Im not sure what your running it for, however, Ive spent alot of time working with computers, since i knew how to fix most things or problems when i attended college and highschool, it was a dorm highschool i was busy assisting students with downloading music videos and games with kazaa, utorrent, bittorrent excetra, and ive seen every Virus program out there, I can honestly say that once i convinced them to use Trend micro, the was never a problem again, i stopped seeing programs crashing and having to reformat computers, im sorry if im way off but if you try running housecall even just that could find an issue on even the most well guarded computer.