windows photo gallery not working vista ult

Windows Vista Ultimate

safsurfer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
windows photo gallery not working vista ult
Here's my problem, Some photo's won't open in windows vista ultimate 64bit photo gallery.

I just migrated all my old 32 bit xp pro files over to my new vista ultimate machine.

Basically, I moved about 25GB of misc photo's from xp to vista.

Some pictures gave me a message that photo gallery 'can't open the picture or video, the file may be corupt or damaged'.

However, the thumbnails showed the picture correctly in file manager for the defective files. Other software could open the files no problem, adobe, roxio, etc... But I could not resave pictures in those programs and then open in photo gallery, that didn't work.

Here is what I think is happening, the files all seem to be image scans in 1200x1200dpi from my HP PSC-950 all in one printer. Those are the only files that photo gallery is hiccuping on as far as I can tell.

Any help at all or did I miss something on the internet or on the microsoft site about this problem. I have posted this in another catagory without any response so I hope something happens here.

Thanks

safsurfer

Last edited by safsurfer : 11-10-2008 at 15:52.

safsurfer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: windows photo gallery not working vista ult
OK, I think problem is solved, but not solved, if you know what I mean???

Windows Vista Photo Gallery, the default image viewer that comes with windows vista, will not, I repeat...will not open 1200 x 1200 dpi scanned images. At least the 64 bit vista ultimate version won't.

I was able to open them in adobe photoshop elements and resize the image, you have to make sure you are not just changing the dimensions but actually changing the pixel x pixel size. I could resize down to 1000 x 1000 and they open fine in photo gallery???? Repeat...make sure the photo size (inch x inch) stays the same but the pixel x pixel size it what changes.

I could not find anything on this at microsoft or on the web anywhere so I don't know if it is something with just me or what. Don't people scan at 1200 dpi or something. Or is it just common knowledge that photo gallery wont work at that resolution, if it is common, I can't find it written anywhere that it is. Oh well.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having this problem, I see a lot of readers but no responders. Maybe microsoft will pick up on this and fix.

Thanks

safsurfer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: windows photo gallery not working vista ult
Another update....I was able to attach the picture file and resize during email operation and the resultant picture file from that could be opened in photo gallery.

Bottom line is that photo gallery just doesn't like 1200 dpi, no matter how you slice it.

safsurfer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: windows photo gallery not working vista ult
Finally, I found the threshold to be 1150 dpi. Anything higher than that photo gallery could not open, anything 1150 or lower opened fine.

Enough said, I suppose. Maybe microsoft can take a look at this if it really is a bug or if it really even matters.