Blue screen when upgrading to ultimate

Windows Vista Ultimate

Rena is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue screen when upgrading to ultimate
Hi,

I just bought a brand new Sony vaio with Vista home premium edition and I am trying to upgrade it to Windows vista ultimate with service pack 1 using Windows Anytime Upgrade Pack and got a blue screen. The Pc boots up, prompted me to install new updates and set time zone and then I'm suppose to click start to get to the log in option. When i clicked start I got a blue screen that states the following.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

NETIO.SYS-ADDRESS 87344658E. BASE 87342000 ETC...

The blue screen disappears in less than a minute and pc reboots again with the same result.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and know a fix for it? HHEEELLLPPP.

Last edited by Rena : 10-13-2008 at 20:44.

Candy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Blue screen when upgrading to ultimate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena View Post
Hi,

I just bought a brand new Sony vaio with Vista home premium edition and I am trying to upgrade it to Windows vista ultimate with service pack 1 using Windows Anytime Upgrade Pack and got a blue screen. The Pc boots up, prompted me to install new updates and set time zone and then I'm suppose to click start to get to the log in option. When i clicked start I got a blue screen that states the following.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

NETIO.SYS-ADDRESS 87344658E. BASE 87342000 ETC...

The blue screen disappears in less than a minute and pc reboots again with the same result.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and know a fix for it? HHEEELLLPPP.
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with my sony vaio (VGN-Z590F), I would like to know if you found a solution for it, thanks in advance for you response.

navyit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Blue screen when upgrading to ultimate
Here is the answer to both your questions:

*****ENSURE THAT YOU BACK UP ALL PERSONAL DATA PRIOR TO FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. FORMATTING IS DESTRUCTIVE TO ALL DATA ON THE PARTITION.******

Prior to installing Vista Ultimate, make recovery disks using the Sony Vaio Recovery Center that comes pre-installed by Sony.

Alternatively, if you have already wiped the hard drive and started over BEFORE creating recovery disks, you can hit F10 while the computer is booting up and it will take you into the recovery center. You will have to reinstall the C drive and then you will have the computer back to the way it was from the factory. This will take several hours. Create the recovery CDs once the computer is up and running just as it was when you first got it.

If you have already formatted the recovery partition and you never created the recovery CDs, the only option you have is to go on the Sony website and order the recovery CDs/DVDs from them directly. They are normally $35-$50.

After you have a good copy of the recovery CDs, put your Vista Ultimate CD in the drive and reboot. Install a CLEAN version of Vista Ultimate. DO NOT FORMAT THE RECOVERY PARTITION. The recovery partition is usually labels as partition 1, where as the normal operating partition is labeled as 2. If you format the recovery partition and you can't get Vista Ultimate to work, you will need the recovery partition or the recovery CDs to get your system back to factory defaults.

Once Vista Ultimate is up and running, you can use the recovery CDs to re-install the system software and drivers from them. Put disc one in the drive and wait for the autorun feature to start the recovery center. Once it does, then you need to choose the option to restore the programs and drivers. It will then allow you to choose what programs and drivers to install. Choose all of them that apply to your system (there will be some that won't). For instance, don't install the fingerprint/biometric reading software if you don't have a fingerprint reader, or bluetooth if you don't have bluetooth.

Your computer may reboot several times and then you should have a clean version of Vista Ultimate plus all the software and drivers that came with the laptop.