Can't Upgrade to Ultimate- Not Nuf Space??

Windows Vista Ultimate

Location: Oregon
roblytle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't Upgrade to Ultimate- Not Nuf Space??
Hi,

After a system crash, I was totally locked out of my system and was able to get in via my Vista Ultimate upgrade disk. Everything was trashed. Programs couldn't find DLL's and all sorts of mess. Yet Memtest86 nor the disk checking program could find any fault. System Restore from the upgrade disk allowed me to log in again, but didn't fix much of anything else.

I must have done something stupid as I was trying to delete an old antivirus program file after installing AVG and was playing with file permissions. (lessons learned the hard way) For some reason, it seemed immutable, kind of like the special flag esp used on BSD kernels.

Anyway, I had to totally reinstall on the C:\ partition from scratch. Had to install 40 Windows Updates, but still haven't seen Service Pack 1 show up anywhere on Windows Update. I had to pay $28 to Sony for a set of 3 System Restoration disks. I had everything backed up on disk, but the special "System Restoration" disks that I created failed when trying to boot off of them, or use Sony's software tool to access the special "Restore Partition."

So now I have Vista Business working and all my favorite programs installed and working, but can't upgrade to Ultimate using my expensive MS Upgrade that I purchased. It fails saying "The computer does not have enough space for temporary files..." and then won't go any further. Yet the Computer >> Local Disk (C >> Properties show I am only using 1/3 of the disk. What the heck is going on? I used the Vista utility to free up HD space, checking all the various boxes, and running it, but that doesn't help.

Any help would be appreciated as I can't find any references on Google regarding anyone else ever having this problem. Thanks.

Rob.

Location: Oregon
roblytle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblytle View Post
[...]

OK, I will reply to myself. I have found the secret key to solving MS OS problems. Take the hex number of the error which might look something like 0x09A46E22 and put into the Search engine in the MS Knowledge Base. Up pops the article with the solution to your problem. In my case, Windows Vista will not install on to a partition that is not marked active. I marked it active and installed Ultimate. No big deal.

Case closed.

Rob.