PCA seems to be blocking a driver that doesn't exist

Windows Vista Ultimate

wornways is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PCA seems to be blocking a driver that doesn't exist
I currently have no Roxio or Sonic software installed on my system, yet whenever I boot up I am greeted with:

Note that there's no way to say "Please don't bother me about this in the future" or similar.

I've tried Roxio's DLA patch, and this error continues to be reported.

I've of course double-checked installed programs against all of Roxio's current and past applications, including Sonic applications. Nothing.

I've searched through msconfig for anything related to Roxio, Sonic or any of their applications (I went down a list of Roxio/Sonic apps and checked for everything they've ever sold).

I did the same in services.msc.

I did the same in the registry, including deleting any entries (after creating a restore point) that looked like removing them might help.

I also deleted the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ from the registry, along with its sister which I think was under HKEY_USERS.

I've also searched through the .ini files in C:\Windows for any mention of any of Roxio's current or past applications.

It's as if this driver simply doesn't exist, which might of course account for the last part of the message indicating "Location: Not Available".

Having failed in all this, I looked into finding a way to suppress the message. So I found the "Program Compatibility Assistant" in Services and disabled it--But I still get the exact same message every time I boot despite the PCA being disabled!!!

This is perfectly maddening.

If anyone could provide me with any more ideas, I'm open to them. Reformatting the system is out of the question.

---

A little background:

This is a Windows Vista upgrade from XP. It's also a successful migration from a Dell XPS Gen 2 to a Dell XPS M1730--fully loaded. The migration was done first, which involved an XP repair install, but then I discovered there were some hardware issues with XP with this system. So I did the Vista Ultimate upgrade and managed to restore my previous environment after confirming all my beloved apps installed over the course of a few years were still present.

The XPS Gen 2 system was itself a migration from a Toshiba Tecra 8200, three years ago. This involved its own XP repair install and a whole lot of driver juggling. But it had been perfectly stable for three years, without so much as a frozen screen.

Some time in the distant past this was a Windows 2000 system.

The Roxio apps came with the Dell XPS Gen 2, and I only installed them briefly after the migration to see if I'd use them. I uninstalled them promptly, realizing their uselessness, and never thought more about it.

It's possible Sonic DLA may have been part of the old Tecra 8200 system--but I'm uncertain. I seem to recall fighting with DLA on the old Tecra, and ultimately being relieved to find a way to disable it.

Again, any assistance would be vastly appreciated. I want to at the very least suppress this warning message.

Thanks in advance,