Is Vista worth investing in ?

Windows Vista Ultimate

pcartier is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Vista worth investing in ?
I have a paid up version of Vista "Ultimate" edition which is causing
me more frustration than I have had since the first Windows 3.0 version and Millenium edition.
There are so many basic things which simply do not work - and which worked perfectly well in Windows XP and even Windows 2000 !!

SO MY QUESTION IS:
Before I waste time ploughing through newsgroups and effecting dark registry hacks to solve all these (often almost trivial) issues:
IS VISTA WORTH THE EFFORT ?
The reason I ask is that I have heard one or 2 (but not enough to be sure!!) mutterings that Microsoft are going to let Vista die a "quiet death" and concentrate on the next major version !!

Can anyone enlighten me one way or another ?

P. Cartier

FreeDevin is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using Vista Ultimate. I had a sound problem, but soon resolved it.

If its causing you problems and your previous OS didn't, then maybe you should roll back for the time being.

satsun is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey... well vista is cool and all but yes it looks like another mellenium edition, not to mention u need 4gb of memory(it's max) for it to work quick enuf without frustrating you.

not sure what your problems are but yes u'll have to figure out alot, i have been working with it since beta n it's really a headache, xp is quicker but visually vista is better (my opinion)

also, your rumors are true, bill gates announced by next yr we should have the new windows 7(i believe), so there you have it

acfreema is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in a word, "no"
if your old os (xp, right?) worked, use it. an old saying comes to mind: if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
on another note, there is NO WAY that m$ will have another fully developed os in the next year. how long after the initial release date before vista was actually released? the most likely scenario is that they don't want their biggest customers (businesses and universities) to consider apple or an open-source alternative because of the failure that is vista. by providing a light at the end of the immeasurably long tunnel, big buyers may continue with xp until the next windows offering.
m$ knows that the masses of *****le will keep buying their trash (to joe public, windows is the computer and he is afraid to try anything else... especially, since, if it's free, it can't be that good) because the government is in their pocket and won't punish the monopoly. want proof? look at the eu compliance commission fines. to joe public, windows is the computer and he is afraid to try anything else... especially, since, if it's free, it can't be that good.
some of us are stuck with vista until we can get everything necessary running smoothly under linux. face it, if you want an above par laptop, you either have to give up your child's college savings for a mac (macbook pro) or take the vista pill

TSCowboy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it is worth it. But if you want Vista and the XP engine, then roll back to XP and install VTP8.1 (Vista Transformation Pack for XP)from Thooje's Site, by downloading one of the VTP8 manuals(PDF) and the download link to all the goodie stuff is in the manual, including SideBar for XP. You also might consider grabbing Thoosje's XP Optimizer. I have it on my gateway, looks nice. Oh and search for the screen saver called Flight Over Sea <--awesome. Plus the animated desktop (waterfall) for XP, adds a nice touch to make it completely "Look Like Vista"

Enjoy................

acfreema is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you people don't seem to understand the purpose of an os: it's not a toy, it's to facilitate getting things done. the first thing that i do after installing xp on anything, is to disable fisher-price mode and get back all of the wasted resources. vista is even worse.
the main thing about vista that makes it unnecessary and undesirable is that it is xp all over again... with more security enabled by default, directx10 (they could patch directx9) and more shiny - that's right, it's shiny. vista offers no great usability over xp, like office 2007 (but that's another rant).

i had been using linux experimentally for several years... vista has pushed me to find something that works NOW

josephwin is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Vista worth.. at all
Yes... It is always good to navigate the new stuff. You never know when you need the knowledge of something new. It opens doors and it is good for the brain.
But, do what I didn't do.... partition and save your 'other' system and put vista on the new partition. If you over ride XP or any other windows systems you can not go back. Microsoft's rules... you can not go back to a 'lesser' system. I've tried this.... Oh well.
I am using vista with only half a gig of RAM. I can not use the new bells and whistles but I can navigate. Also, with the new system, you do not have the 'vendors' support like XP. It is all is slow motion. This is not uncle bill's fault.. maybe....
Use Vista as a training tool for now or until you are comfortable with Vista.
I've found that navigating inside vista is much easier. Every window has links, the system pathway is now has links. Much better end user friendly.
Joseph

Elrik_C is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartier View Post
I have a paid up version of Vista "Ultimate" edition which is causing
me more frustration than I have had since the first Windows 3.0 version and Millenium edition.
There are so many basic things which simply do not work - and which worked perfectly well in Windows XP and even Windows 2000 !!

SO MY QUESTION IS:
Before I waste time ploughing through newsgroups and effecting dark registry hacks to solve all these (often almost trivial) issues:
IS VISTA WORTH THE EFFORT ?
The reason I ask is that I have heard one or 2 (but not enough to be sure!!) mutterings that Microsoft are going to let Vista die a "quiet death" and concentrate on the next major version !!

Can anyone enlighten me one way or another ?

P. Cartier
It was Windows Longhorn that died a quite death, a predecessor
to Windows Vista that was never officially released to the public.

However, you may want to wait a little longer, perhaps until october
or november this year for software and hardware vendors to get it
together.

Finally, A word about Linux and the remote desktop loophole
contrary to popular belief Linux cannot protect you from a
remote desktop or vpn hacker, this is not a flame, it is a fact.

But if you have to have it now, then Meditate and you may find
the answer in the open source or freeware community, sorry but
that's all I'm allowed to say about that.