Expanding the system partition - help please

Windows Vista Ultimate

darkew is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Expanding the system partition - help please
Hi everyone,

I have installed my Windows Vista on a very small (??) 20GB partition. Now it's crying out loud all the time about me running out of disk space.

I need to resize that partition (would 30 or 40GB be enough?). I have nothing but Windows installed there, even the program files are on another partition. My Documents folder is also there.

I have tried the built-in partition manager, but it won't let me expand the system drive. I have also tried Paragon Partition Manager, same thing happened.

Anyone can shed a light?
Thanks!
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi darkew,

have a look at this page on how to expand the partition... How to resize a partition in Windows Vista | vistarewired.com

regards

Steve

darkew is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Steve. Thanks for replying.

I had already tried the disk management tool, even the command propmt based 'diskpart' utility. With the GUI version, it greys out the option to expand my system partition. In the command line, it says there's not enough space to extend the volume.

This is a 200GB hard disk, of which less than half is being used. I'm guessing it happens because of the continguous space limitation, or something like that.

Any other ideas? Maybe with Partition Manager?

Thanks again.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi darkew,

please try run the command prompt as administrator and try again... see Run a Command as Administrator from the Windows Vista Run box :: the How-To Geek

regards

Steve
TheBigfut's Avatar

Location: Ohio, USA
TheBigfut is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally speaking I have usually used Partition Magic with the best of luck. As far as the size, I would say to increase it to utilize the entire drive space. If you want to have another location to safely store or hide things, best bet is to have a secondary hard drive for that use. I have always kept a large hard drive hidden from the web to use to back up everything else to that location. then I have kept my main hard drive smaller(160 gig currently) and another one of about the same size(250 gig) all backed up to a 1Tb backup drive.
HappyAndyK's Avatar

HappyAndyK is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How To Resize A Partition In Vista, if Disk Management fails.
If you get the message : There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation.
WinVistaClub : How To Resize, Extend, Shrink, Delete, Merge Partitions In Vista.
__________________
The Windows Club

aurala is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Expanding the system partition - help please
If vista disk management did not allow you to extend system partition, that may be because of no unallocated space adjacent to your system partition....
This is the way to extend system partition space with third-party utility
Free Magic Partition Manager to Resize Windows Vista Partition without Data Loss.
For sure, if there is unallocated space next to system partition, you may refer the following link
How to resize a partition in Windows Vista | Vista Rewired