Vista Ultimate can't join domain...

Windows Vista Ultimate

mikey117 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Ultimate can't join domain...
Upgraded a Home Premium computer to Ultimate & cannot join my Win2k3 AD
Domain!!!
I can sit here & use my XP laptop & join no problem, but this Ultimate
piece of..... well, it just won't join!
I feel its a name resolution issue between this computer & DC,
although I have run dcdiag on my DC & everything passes.
When trying to join just using domainname, I am prompted for a
username & password for someone with permission to join the domain,
but eventually get the message:
An attempt to resolve the name of a DC in the domain being joined has
failed. Please verify that this client is configured to reach a DNS
server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain.
Oddly enough, I have to add the ISPs DNS servers to be able to get on
the internet, too.
Every XP box (14 of them!) can join domain & browse the Internet using my internal DNS server, though!
After callin M$ & routed to about 4 diferent people, II was told that
the call would cost $250!
I have been searching the intrnet & tried ump-**** different 'fixes'
that people have posted, as well.
Before anyone asks,
Yes, I have the DNS server set as my internal DNS server.
I have WINS & TCP/IP over NETBIOS enabled.
I can ping server by name or FQDN & get replies.
Right now, machine is in a workgroup with same name as domain.
I can browse & see server, but bet an error message that network path could not be found.
HELP!!!
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi mikey,

Have you tried to delete the DNS record on the server?

You probably need to delete the records in Forward and Reverse lookup zone.

Remove the computer record on the AD and try again.

I'm sure you have tried this already but I need to find out what you have tried and what you have not,

regards

Steve

trikki69 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give these 2 a try - I've had the same issue with some XP and Vista machines.

Check out the pics that I up loaded - if you need directions to the tick boxes just shout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DNS.jpg (92.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg help2.jpg (40.2 KB, 69 views)
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi trikki69,

thanks for the heads up on that one

regards

Steve

matt897 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
renaming the machine always seems to solve my problems of joining the domain. I was having problems of the domain recognizing the machine as part of itself, somehow the machine was kicked from the domain; after renaming the machine and rejoining it kicked right back