Vista Networking Problem

Windows Vista Ultimate

darenf is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Networking Problem
HI guy's
I have 2 pc's wired through a netgear router both running a new copy of windows vista ultimate.

i have managed to network them together and identify the shared drives.

this is where my problem is.

when i click on a drive to access it says it is not accessible contact the administrator. Both PC's are in administor mode on the user id.

I have little luck in either private mode with no passwod box or public mode with the password box. i dont know what the passwords are and i dont use passwords on the user accounts.

I have looked through the security tab and cannot see what i need to change.
More interestingly i have looked for my 2nd PC on the network map and it shows at the bottom as a discoverable device that cannot be placed on the map. Is this why i cannot find it on the security tab?

When i try to build a map on the 2nd PC it states windows cannto create a map.

both PC's are in the correct workgroup. When i goto network and view computers & devices it shows both systems so i know they are connected. Now i amvery lost! help please?
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi darenf,

it looks like a problem with the settings for the Folder sharing and Network Discovery for the undiscoverable devices.

See this page ( Enabling Simple File Sharing in Windows Vista ) for the file sharing issue.

See this page ( Enabling Network Discovery in Windows Vista ) for the undiscoverable devices issue.

Hope this helps, tell us how you get on,

regards

Steve