Host processor RUNDLL32 failed [Resolved]

Windows Vista Ultimate

ceehom is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Host processor RUNDLL32 failed [Resolved]
I constantly get this message on sign-on. I never get any solution info back from MS by selecting the "go to internet for solution & close program". Do I have some virus, worm or whatever?

I tried restoring to my oldest restore points for I thought the above may have begun after an update load. Now I can't restore and get message "failed code 0x800700B7 file already exists".

Anything you can suggest to help?

ceehom
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi ceehom,

can you do the following for me after you recieve the error....

1. Open Problem Reports and Solutions by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Problem Reports and Solutions.

2. In the left pane, click View problem history.

3. Double-click the problem that you want to view.

4. Use the "Copy to clipboard" link in the lower left corner and paste into a reply to this thread.

regards

Steve

ceehom is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reply to you
I opened problem history. There are 62 instances beginning on 1-2-08 under Windows host process (rundll32) reported. I can't find a way to copy it. I highlighted, but won't copy. There's nothing in lower left corner for copying. I have Vista Ultimate.

I opened the latest report which is same as all others. Here it is:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: rundll32.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1
Fault Module Name: nvapi.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.15.11.6925
Fault Module Timestamp: 475f4cbe
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000276e0
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9dba
Additional Information 2: 8a95d6c15390697e49eebb4c03600ac2
Additional Information 3: 1bf1
Additional Information 4: 7cbcbe87a857dbb5e2f109f5a066e14a

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 593168998

If you can give me any guidance, I'll be forever indebted.

ceehom
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi ceehom,

this lokks like an NVidia driver problem.

Try this...

Disable "NVidia Driver Helper Service" from running at startup by using msconfig (start -> run -> msconfig -> startup tab). After disabling this, restart your computer and you should be good.

If you then get the "Windows has blocked some startup programs" balloon upon restart, this can be disabled by the following steps:

1. Click the Blocked Startup Programs icon located next to the time on the taskbar.
2. Point at Run blocked program.
3. Select System Configuration Utility.
4. Check the "Don’t show this message or start System Configuration when Windows starts" in the System Configuration window and press OK.

regards

Steve

ceehom is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Response to Steve's suggestion
Steve,

I've used msconfig to unselect all Nvidia items in the Startup tab as my card died. I'm not getting the Rundll32 message on restart, and I accepted the notice that msconfig in diagnostic mode and it went away. So hope all is ok.

Thanks for your direction as my pc knowledge would have been challenged to ever figure this out.

ceehom
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi ceehom,

delighted it is sorted

How many Nvidia items did you deselect? It was only really the "NVidia Driver Helper Service" that needs deselecting.

regards

Steve

ceehom is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nvidia items
Steve,

There were three nVidia items which I deselected. My nVidia card is dead & uninstalled. I'm running on the Gigabyte motherboard video. So I thought it may be good to deselect them all since my system isn't using nVidia at this time.

Thanks again,

Clyde

BlueBlood is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Host processor RUNDLL32 failed [Resolved]
im sorry to bother i have the same problem and thats the report i got

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: rundll32.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1
Fault Module Name: StackHash_8568
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000b015d
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8568
Additional Information 2: ac638aa64c5d0b96f658718ca7edc45f
Additional Information 3: 600d
Additional Information 4: 3e67f065631d0123fa6ade019161793b

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 729550084