Folders there but not showing up in browser

Windows Vista Ultimate

jeff5683 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folders there but not showing up in browser
This one's a doozy...

I was running a program that I use for work that saves files like any other program. When it came to save the file, I clicked "Save As" and created a new sub-folder within a folder called Earthwork (the name of the program I was using). There was already a sub-folder called 2007, but because we are now in 2008, the new sub-folder I created is called 2008. I created this 2008 folder, as well as a sub-folder in it called January. The file is saved inside the January folder. I can browse this 2008 sub folder and its included files in my work programs (the one in question, and another made by the same company), but when I navigate to this folder with the Windows browser, Word, or Excel, it isn't there. All I see is the 2007 folder.. I have the system set to show any hidden folders or files, and I know that the folder isn't hidden, anyway. Plus I can open the files that are in these sub-folders, so I know there is something there.. Better yet, if I go to where I CAN view it, (in the Earthwork program), right click, and hit Explore, an error comes up saying it isn't really there (see screenshots below. I have no clue what is going on.

Any help would be appreciated. I've had this laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate for about 2 weeks now. This is the first problem I've had.

Jeff

Here are some screen shots:

Here I can view it:

Here I can't:

Before I right click and hit explore:

After I right click and hit explore:
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Jeff,

well this is an interesting one all right. You have gone to a lot of effort describing your problem along with the screenshots...excellent.

Lets try 2 things. Firstly try run Windows Explorer by right clicking on the icon and select Run As Administrator and see if you can find the folder there.

Secondly can you do a file and folder search for 2008 and see if it finds it.

Another thing to try would be to create the 2008 folder in the Earthwork folder from within Explorer and see if it lets you.

I have a feeling this is to do with the way that Vista is pointing to folders. Vista could think that this is an Appdata folder and as such may actually have it somewhere else??

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Steve

jeff5683 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried what you recommended and will document the findings as best as I can.

1. You said to right click on Windows Explorer, and Run as Administrator.. This did nothing different than before.

2. You said to do a search for 2008. I did, and it shows that it is found, but when I click on it, a box pops up saying "Missing Shortcut : Windows is searching for 2008. To locate the file yourself, click Browse." With a button for Browse... and one for cancel. I repeated the process for 2008, January, and the file inside January, all with the same results.

Something strange, however, is that when I RIGHT click on 2008, and select "Open File Location" it takes me to C:\users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Re cent and shows it as a shortcut (it didn't show it as a shortcut before).

Something else I did that didn't work was re-index the files on the computer.. so scratch that off the list.

3. Lastly, you said to try and create a 2008 folder. I made the 2008 folder and a January folder within it, and they are there but nothing is in them. I can still open the saved file though..

One thing that is interesting to me is that the Earthwork folder in whole is set as "Read Only" and everytime I change it, it shows that it has changed, but then when I check after I close Properties, it goes back to read only.. Not sure if that could have anything to do with this, or not.. just an observation.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Jeff,

when you see the shortcut can you right click on it and in Properties you will see Target.. what file location is in there.

Create a new folder... say c:\testfolder for example..and another one inside called Jan or something similiar.

Make sure you can see these folders in Explorer.

Then open the program where you can see the files and then do a save as to this new folder.

Again verify the file in Windows Explorer.

If everything is ok then copy the folder to your Earthwork Folder and see if you can see them in both your program and Explorer.

Worth a shot.... If you are satisfied then rename the folders to 2008, etc..

Hope this helps,

regards

Steve

Frumpy Jones is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Folders there but not showing up in browser
I have the answer for you as I had this EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

Goto your deleted items folder.

Restore the foler (You or something accidently deleted it).

I have no idea why searches still show it and all its files in the same place, but unclickable, openable or anything else... but that's 99% sure to be your problem