Computer waking from sleep

Windows Vista Ultimate

Location: Lakewood, CO
rjspiel2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Computer waking from sleep
Hello, this is my first post to this forum.

My difficulty seems to be different than what I am reading about. My computer wakes out of sleep mode without apparent reason and will not automatically go back into sleep mode once this has happened. I have my settings to go to sleep mode after 30 minutes of inactivity-it will usually do so.

I am not sure what is causing this, but I wonder if internet activity might be the reason-does anyone have any expereince or pointers on this-is anyone aware of any articles that might be available on power management isssues with Vista Ultimate?

Thanks to all.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi rjspiel2002,

welcome aboard

Lets try and see if any hardware is causing it wake up.

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4. At the command prompt, type powercfg /-lastwake, and then press ENTER.

you should see something like...

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device

Under Device it should show you what is waking the PC up.

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Steve

Location: Lakewood, CO
rjspiel2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After typing the instruction at Cmdr prompt the message is: 'powerconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file'

I did not get to step two here since I am logged on to the administration account-my only current account and I have not yet set a password.

In typing this command with various iterations and spacing-i get similar messages.

Thank you for your help, any additional suggestions are welcome.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi,

I made a typo in my post it should read powercfg -lastwake

If you got the error powerconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file then you might have typed in poerconfig instead of powercfg

You may need to do the run as administrator bit as all versions of Vista need this enabled for some features regardless of permissions.

Hope this helps,

regards

Steve

Location: Lakewood, CO
rjspiel2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Information snd next step
Steve, your last instruction worked and when my computer woke up I read this message in the cmd window

PCI\VEN (a long series of numbers followed with underscores and no spacing)

ICH9 USB Universal Host Controller 2434

A couple of details about this computer:

-There is a combo Bluetooth/Multi card reader that connects via internal USB interface-I currently need the Bluetooth to stay viable in order to wake the computer (keyboard and mouse)-I will eventually be changing out to a keyboard and mouse that will interface by outboard USB-but for now...I need to stick with the Bluetooth. Eventually I expect to have other Bluetooth peripherals.

-The outboard USB ports (backside of the case) appear to be a separate USB interface-at least I surmise this to be true by the BIOS information-I have two separate USB functions turned on.

Do you have suggestions as to what USB function might be causing this wake up behavior and what to do about it?

Thank you for the help.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
So far so good...

Can you give the full list of numbers along with underscores that comes after the PCI\VEN. This will help give a fuller picture but I dont think it will identify the item.

Can you remove the batteries from your mouse and keyboard and see if the PC wakes.

The next step is to check out the settings of the USB Bluetooth to see if there is any setting that would make the Bluetooth activate.

We are nearly there, gotta make sure though that Bluetooth doesnt get turned off on the PC or there may be no way of turning it back on again...

regards

Steve

Location: Lakewood, CO
rjspiel2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again, more information to report since your last post.

I believe I have discovered one anomaly. That is that when I manually put the unit to sleep-it seems to remain sleeping-without awakening. I am still trying to test for this, but in the last 24 hours or so I have manually put the unit to sleep for long period without interruption. So today I will try just allowing it to go to sleep by itself and see if the awakening problem presents itself.

In regard to a couple of your other comments:

-I will be able to give you the numbers from the cmd window, when next I experience the wake up issue.

-I can if you think it advisable, hook up a USB interface keyboard and mouse-to help determine if the Bluetooth peripherals or the internal bluetooth function is causing the problem. So at the appropriate time if you want to suggest that again-I am ready to go with it.

I will next respond to you when I next experience the wake up issue.

Thank you.

ajbabao is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the powercfg is an extreemly useful tool in diagnosing issues with waking up thanks for that tip. Yep my PC had the same issue. It kept on waking up after 15 minutes found out the source to a USB device. Have you used the USB Vsita patch that's available using Windows Update? try to use that to resolve some issues with USB devices also right click on my computer and locate your USB device. some devices of this type have power saving options that can be enabled and or disabled. by unchecking their power saving features. This should put the whole PC to sleep.

Location: Lakewood, CO
rjspiel2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been awhile since I visited here even though I am the one who started this thread. I experienced my issue early in the process of adding software and setting this up to come on line as my main PC. I did this successfully, but during the process of adding software, ended up with other issues that were more pressing.

I have turned off my sleep and hibernation options, because I kept losing my mouse and occasionally my keyboard upon awakening-(mouse is a wireless logitech track man and keyboard is a usb-I have ditched the blue tooth for the moment) one time having to use the power button to restart-because I had neither.

I was hoping to save power and leave my unit on to run utilities overnight and have it awaken beforehand to do so-but I didn't get that far-too many issues for me to deal with-I haven't found the experience of moving to Vista an easy one, although I am optimistic some of these issues will be resolved with SP-1. I may try again when that is installed-I appreciate the input though and who knows-maybe down the road I will be able to figure it all out.

joshtee is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same issue - Vista waking on its own
I've had my Vista PC wake on its own every day at 7am EST sharp. A colleague pointed me to this thread yesterday and this morning I ran the lastwake command.

This is what I received:

Type: Fixed Feature
Timer: Expired <RTC>

So, beyond knowing this has something to do with the realtime clock (or so I assume), any ideas out there?

Thanks much.

Last edited by joshtee : 03-12-2008 at 16:56.