Hibernation problems after installing SP1 RC1

Windows Vista Ultimate

musicmannetje is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hibernation problems after installing SP1 RC1
Hey,

I use vista on my R2H ultramobile PC for about half a year, and without much of the problems I frequently hear about. But nevertheless I was 'brave' enough to install the SP1 release candidate which microsoft has recently launched.
Installation went fine, but ever since then, I have problems with hybernation. This, despite the fact that, as I have learned from the various postings about the SP1, this update includes a lot of fixes for hibernation problems.
I use the UMPC as a notepad very frequently and in order to do this, I hardly shut it down but I use hibernation a lot. This way, the pc is back online in no time.
But after the SP1 installation, hibernating takes about a minute, and when trying to resume from the hibernate state, windows tells me that the shutdown has been unexpected and I can choose between a normal windows boot or booting into safe mode.
I tried uninstalling the SP1, but the damage was already done. I did not solve the problem. Even removing the hibernation file on disc, using the disc cleanup, rebooting, and putting hibernation back on by the powercfg command, did not do the job.
Does anyone have a clue about what to do to solve this?

Thanx,
Pat.
__________________
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Asus R2H, 1GB
Vista Ultimate (tablet aware)

Last edited by musicmannetje : 12-19-2007 at 22:28.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Pat,

welcome aboard , sorry for not getting to you earlier.

Have you tried to turn off Hibernation and then turn it on again?

If not....

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4. At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
5. Type exit, and then press ENTER.

Reboot... (just to be sure) then turn it back on...

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4. At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press ENTER.
5. Type exit, and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.

and see how it goes,

regards

Steve

musicmannetje is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions.
However, I have tried that already, albeit that I turned of hibernation via the disc cleanup function instead of the powercfg command.
I will try once more via the suggested routine, with hope that is will work this time.

Thanx,
Pat
__________________
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Asus R2H, 1GB
Vista Ultimate (tablet aware)

musicmannetje is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back again...

Like I thought.. Re-installing the hibernation function did not do the job.

Eventually, I was brave enough to de-install the SP1 update but although the desktop did not show the SP1 version anymore (so, I figured I would be back to the initial VISTA release), hibernation did not work!!!
I even did the re-install trick with this previous version, but still the same error coming back from hibernate state...

I'm lost.. Does this have anything to do with the ServicePack? Are there still installed patches left after uninstalling the service pack?

Patrick.
__________________
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Asus R2H, 1GB
Vista Ultimate (tablet aware)
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Pat,

it all just a matter of elimination until we get there.

Can you have a look in your BIOS at startup and make sure that your Power Setting is down as S3. This is what Vista likes.

If it is S3 then change it to S1, reboot and re-install the Hibernation. Hopefully this "might" make Vista forget about any previous S3 setting. Go back to the BIOS and change it back to S3 and repeat the reinstall.

See how it goes,

regards

Steve