Programme not working in Vista

Windows Vista Ultimate

timsealey is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Programme not working in Vista
Hi

I have Vista Ultimate and am trying to run a programme called Movie Magic which ran very happly on XP. When I try to run it it does not fully load but the programme appears in the processes of my task manager. I have also set the programme compatability preferences to run with XP service pack 2, but it still does not run.

Can anyone tell me how to get the programme running

Thanks
tim
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Tim,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

It could be that the program needs to run as an administrator. Try this.

In the "Privilege Level" section, check the box labeled "Run this program as an Administrator".

Click OK.

See how this goes.

regards

Steve

timsealey is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not allowing me to run as administrator
Thanks for your reply,

I tried to run as administrator, but the compatability tab won't let me run the programme as administrator, I can't click on it. I am an administrator for the computer and have full control but it still won't let me click on this box.

Any ideas to get this option open to me?

Thanks again
tim
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Tim,

the reason for this is that you are looking at the properties of the shortcut and you will need to click the option on the Program file itself. You should find its location from the shortcut Properties tab.

It actual program executable should end with .exe and when you right click on it you should get the same options except that the run as adminisrator should not be greyed out.

regards

Steve

ajbabao is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compatibility issues with software
If the right click on the shortcut option and checking the compatibity tab and selecting windows XP doesn't work properly. the issue lies with the software itself. It may not be Vista Compatible. and not all XP software will necessarily work on vista. There may be updates to the program available. that should resolve it. and there are patches for vista called compatibility program patches from windows update. just got to the manufacturer of that particular software and try to get a version update or upgrade so that it will work under vista properly.