Help with "Not Responding" on Hard Drive Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Ultimate

TLCJohn's Avatar

Location: Southampton, UK
TLCJohn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with "Not Responding" on Hard Drive Vista Ultimate
Hi there Steve and Paul

Steve, I followed your steps on this thread Help with "Not Responding" in Vista Ultimate

looking at the Event Viewer I found this, dose it mean anything to you?

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="ACPI" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49157">6</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>5871</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>John-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data />
<Data>IRQARB</Data>
<Data>12</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Binary>000000000400300000000000060005C00000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

To answer the burning question, No we are still having problems.

All the very best

John
TLCJohn's Avatar

Location: Southampton, UK
TLCJohn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good morning Steve.

I followed your instructions yesterday,and did an "error check" on my suspicious hard drive. This morning after nearly 2 1/2 hours of error checking yesterday. the hard drive still has the same problem.

Let me explain the problem again: when I opened the first folder, it opens perfectly, without any problems, when I open the second folder, which is inside the first folder, I have no problems (but) when I open the third folder or click on a file I get "not responding" and a programme and hard drive free for about two or three minutes, when the file has eventually been opened everything is back to normal. Please note most files I am trying to open approximately 500 kB or less.

Please could you give me some more helpful advice.

Kind regards.

John
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi John,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier. When I mentioned about a new thread I meant about the not being able to connect over the wired network as I though it was a seperate issue....sorry

Right, lets start off with the error you posted.... can you check out this article from Microsoft regarding this very error.... It says you can ignore it if you do not have any yelloe exclamations in Device Manager which you can get to by Start - Run - devmgmt.msc

The problem is extremely unusual in that it is the 3rd folder

Do you have Anti Virus Installed?

regards

Steve
TLCJohn's Avatar

Location: Southampton, UK
TLCJohn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Evening Steve!

Please don't worry, get back to me when you can, I am very thankful you are helping me with this problem, so on my part there is no pressure.

OK let me work through you questions/ideas.

Answer 1. In the Device Manager there are no yellow triangle exclamation marks under any parts of the computer.

Answer 2. Anti Virus, we use AVG Professional 7.5, thinking this might of caused the problem myself, I unconnected the router from the internet, turned off the AVG and tried some thing and still we have our little problem.

Just a thought, I have been watching what the computer gets up to more closely over the last few days, as this is now winding me up somewhat, now if I do a screen dump of a webpage for example and import it into Photoshop CS3 – I get “not responding”.

If a save an E-mail on to an external hard drive, the Microsoft Outlook comes up with “Not Responding”.

And now here is the best one, sometimes when I open a FireFox or IE browser page, I also get “Not Responding”.

The "Not Responding" last for about 1 to 2 minutes, then eveything is fine again, like nothing had happened.

Do you have any thoughts?

All the very best

John
TLCJohn's Avatar

Location: Southampton, UK
TLCJohn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS. Sorry to add a little more, but my thoughts are "Every little bit of information helps" I have just opened a picture, sent in via e-mail, in the windows Fax and Picture Viewer and then opened it to go into Photoshop, and the "Not Responding" is up again. I hope this helps!

John
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
John,

lets see what is running via task manager.....to start task manager, just right click on the taskbar and choose task manager.

Sort the list by CPU descending ( highest CPU first ) and then perform one of the actions that ends up with Not Responding and switch over to task manager and see what is at the top and using the most CPU.

regards

Steve
TLCJohn's Avatar

Location: Southampton, UK
TLCJohn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there Steve!

Thanks for your info, I gather from your note you want me to look at "Resource Overview" if this is the right place, then top of the list looks like this:

taskmgr.exe 5668 Windows Task Manager 6 1 0.18
SearchFilterHost.exe 5604 Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host 3 0 0.01
OUTLOOK.EXE 5460 Microsoft Office Outlook 35 0 0.06
perfmon.exe 4928 Reliability and Performance Monitor 9 0 0.55

I hope this helps, as I work today I will post more information if that is alright with you.

All the very best for now.

John
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
John,

I never put in the Microsoft article above... here it is.... Error message is logged in the System log every time that you start Windows Vista: "ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot <number>" , this will only work if you have any yellow exclamations in Device Manager,

regards

Steve
TLCJohn's Avatar

Location: Southampton, UK
TLCJohn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there Steve

No yellow exclamations in the Device Manager! Did you not ask the question about running the Task manager?

All the best

John
TLCJohn's Avatar

Location: Southampton, UK
TLCJohn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there Steve!

Recycle Bin - Not responding.

Five items, all images, total size 530kb. took 2mins 19secs to empty. This is starting to get very silly.

Have fun.

John