Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

System Restore Points Not Created

Windows Vista Ultimate

Speedup My PC
Old 09-29-2007

markworthy is on a distinguished road
System Restore Points Not Created
Have recently purchased an NEC X9100 - so plenty of HD and restore capacity. It will create restore points during a session, however when I reboot all points are erased and the msc indicates no retore points have been created. At the moment I do not have much extra s/w installed but have tried with AVG and UAC disabled with no luck. The PC comes with a large s/w bundle but I don't wnat to mess with these. Hopefully this is only a setting or permission issue - any help is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2007

Steve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant future
Hi Markworthy,

have a read of this it might help you with your problem and if not i might at least give us a few clues..... Missing Restore Points/Shadow Copies in Windows Vista:

regards

Steve
Old 09-29-2007

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I have laready looked into this. Used msconfig and set to diagnostic startup. Created a restore point then rebooted - same problem, all restore points were deleted. I'm pretty sure its happening at start up, but have run out of ideas of where to look for the offending setting or software. Would running in Safe mode be an idea ?

NB. This is my second X9100 as the first had a hardware crash after two weeks - so I insisted on a replacement, not a repair. Initally it had the same problem. I messed around and got it working but can't remeber what I did. Probably more ass then class.
Old 09-29-2007

Steve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant future
Do you dual boot with any other Operating System?

Have a try setting it in Safe Mode ok and see how it goes, worth a shot indeed,

regards

Steve
Old 09-30-2007

Hi Steve,
No dual boot on this m/c I'm going cold turkey on vista. Tried the Safe Mode. Did not do anything except viewed system properties - found out there is no system protection tab anyway in this mode. Rebooted and whallah! my systemrestore/shadow now works fine. Only other thing I noticed was the taskbar buttons were now displayed in the classic fashion (not Aero). Went to system properties then performance and there had indeed been some changes under Visual Effects. It was now set to custom and two effects had been disabled
1. Enable Desktop Composition
2. Use visual styles on windows and buttons
I enabled both these with no detrimental effect.
I'm pretty sure this is the same approach I used on the first X9100. As I don't really understand what caused the problem or what really corrected I'm not 100% easy it is a permanent fix - time will tell. Anyway it may be of some use to other readers.
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this problem
Old 10-09-2007

uncle_fred will become famous soon enough
Steve i have a question to this as you know i use both xp & vista so i back up the whole system and find this the better idea, mark should try that when you make one the next one you make and if you don't have enough room it only backs up the difference so i hope to have a permanent restore point up to date of a good system but have not tried to restore yet hope it works when you get used to the vista ultimate it is one of the best i have seen or used you have to spend time and patience with it but it runs fast, safe, and secure. Thats just my opinion. maybe if mark has marked this thread he will read my idea and try that found the idea easy just thought i could share it.

Fred
Old 10-09-2007

Good point Fred.

Backups are handy for people with important information on the PC. It also means that if the Hard Drive quits then you can get back to where you were much easier.

Restore points can be handy even with a backup and also for people who only use their PC's for email and surfing, etc.

How often would you do a backup?

regards

Steve
Old 10-10-2007

uncle_fred will become famous soon enough
well i try a lot of different things new programs, or work on a new graphic its not really the work i do something like menu cards in 3 different languages you can always put that in a safe place but if you change something on the system and find it works good after a time then i will back it up now it only makes a differential backup even if i have 1000 GB that you can use up quick NP i have a second computer where i store things that also works better than USB extern HD so to answer your question not very often when the system is running fine then i make one same with the boot menu i tried to do then i make one before saves a lot of time and with the OEM version you might have a problem to activate it i haven't tried to save the wpa.dll with vista don't know even if that works. there are other ways Microsoft could have done it to stop a system being installed more times than just block it. I said that way because i had a lot of problem with my laptop with all the pre installed drivers and media edition and it took up the whole hard drive 100 GB and that wasn't my taste i wanted to split it up that was a job then a complete backup is much more efficient and safer
Old 10-29-2007

Hi Uncle Fred & Steve,
I've been overseas on business. Just returned to find the family have removed the cloves of garlic and the cruxifix and started useing the PC with Vista on it. Checked the system restore and all's fine with many restore points, though as we know the Vista restore files are large so I need to keep an eye on this. I did a full backup before I left and decided on a monthly backup (Next one is due 01/11) . I also did a backup for the failed X9100 and I must say it rocks. I was able to recover e-mails, documents , pictures et. I've been telling all my work colleagues about this. You'd have to be crazy not to use it. Thanks for the advice and support. The more I use Vista the better I like it. Like all OS's it has some failings such as the jitters with Media Centre and MS Media Player - lets hope SP1 sorts these out.
Old 10-31-2007

Hi mark,

thats great news indeed. I think it has happened everyone with an new OS. It always takes some time to get used to it. As you said when SP1 comes out things should be a whole lot better..... cant wait...

Talk again soon,

regards

Steve