Announcing the Windows Vista Resource Kit

Windows Vista Team Blog

Paul's Avatar
Moderator

Location: wicklow mts
Paul will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Announcing the Windows Vista Resource Kit

For some IT pros, the only thing they look forward to more than the new version of Windows is the new Windows Resource Kit-and the Windows Vista Resource Kit is available now. This official Microsoft reference provides more than 1,500 pages of in-depth technical guidance on deploying; securing, and managing Windows Vista.
The primary authors of this book are Microsoft MVP's Mitch Tulloch, Tony Northrup, and Jerry Honeycutt-though hundreds of folks on the Windows Vista Team contributed to and reviewed it. (I even reviewed a page or two.)
What's in the Windows Vista Resource Kit?

Like most of the resource kits that have gone before, the Windows Vista Resource Kit includes a collection of tools, utilities, guidance, and information in one package. Parts of the kit will be available online, but the complete collection is available for $59.99 US. (That's the list price. You can get it for much less from book sellers.)
Here are a few of the topics that are covered in the Windows Vista Resource Kit:
  • Deployment
    From installation basics to corporate-level installation guidance for the Business Desktop Deployment (BDD) 2007 for Windows Vista and the 2007 Microsoft Office system, the Windows Vista Resource Kit covers all areas of Windows Vista deployment including:
    • Deployment automation
    • Application compatibility and deployment
    • Disk imaging
    • User state migration
    • Volume activation
  • Management
    Controlling how Windows Vista functions and how users access its resources is an important part of supporting the operating system. The Windows Vista Resource Kit covers management topics such as:
    • User accounts
    • Disks and storage
    • Device management
    • Printing
    • File sharing and collaboration
    • Internet access and security
  • Maintenance
    The ability to restore a system to efficient operation is an important part of a technician's job. The Windows Vista Resource Kit offers guidance for maintenance tasks including:
    • Health and performance monitoring
    • Remote user assistance
    • Software updates and patches
    • Client protection (hardening Windows)
  • Networking
    Windows Vista is designed to operate in networks from two linked home systems to immense corporate networks with thousands of networked computers. The Windows Vista Resource Kit has everything you need to know about the following topics:
    • Configuring Windows networking
    • Configuring Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    • Connecting to remote networks
    • Deploying the next generation Internet-TCP/IP version 6 (IPv6)
  • Troubleshooting
    Windows Vista is designed to be the most resilient operating system we've ever released. In spite of this, problems do sometimes happen. When they do, the Windows Vista Resource Kit has information on the following topics:
    • Startup issues
    • Hardware issues
    • Network issues
    • Stop errors
  • Tools and Utilities
    In addition to the guidance listed above, the Windows Vista Resource Kit includes a CD of tools and utilities to help you troubleshoot, manage, and configure Windows Vista. Among these tools are more than 150 timesaving scripts to help automate administrative tasks, additional job aids, and an eBook of the entire resource kit.
If you've read this far then I know you're really interested, so we have a special surprise for you. The first 25 folks who send mail to blogswag at microsoft.com with their mailing address will get a free copy of the Windows Vista Resource Kit shipped to them. (Your information will only be used to ship this book and will be deleted after that.)

Keep reading for more IT pros posts and giveaways.
- Alex

More...