Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED - it's Personal!

Windows Vista Team Blog

Paul's Avatar
Moderator

Location: wicklow mts
Paul will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED - it's Personal!
One of the reasons I came to work in the Windows team was because I wanted to work on something with meaning; something that could have a positive impact on people's lives. Because of Windows, millions of people get to enjoy opportunities to do more with their lives - either as a direct result of using a PC, or through the jobs created in our partner ecosystem. Love it or hate it, Windows enables people and businesses, and that means impact.

The impact I prefer, though, is on an even more personal level - for example, as a product manager for Windows Vista, I had the privilege of working with the teams who built important consumer features like Parental Controls. As a result, I've been able to help touch people's lives in a positive way. That's why I work in Windows and why I'm passionate about what Windows can offer.

Now we have another way to touch lives - Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED on Dell (PRODUCT) RED PCs. This appeals to me on a number of levels, not just because I'm passionate about Windows - this is where things get personal!

As I've stated previously on this blog, I'm a total consumer. I also want to have a positive impact. So my personal consumer philosophy is to make choices that align with my values. If I'm going to buy a bottle of water, I get the stuff that will help someone get clean drinking water. I even prefer vacation activities with a bit more meaning - on my recent trip to Thailand I got my (awesome) massages through a prison rehabilitation program and instead of riding elephants, got to hang out with them at an elephant conservation foundation. So being able to bring people a choice of PC and operating system that results in a contribution to The Global Fund that could literally save someone's life definitely makes me want to come to work every day - I love that people who want to buy a new PC can now make a profound difference to another human being simply by making an easy choice!

And finally, there's an even more personal reason I'm excited about working on the team that is making (PRODUCT) RED possible. I'm an African. I was born and raised in Zimbabwe, a country with an average life expectancy of 43 years and an adult prevalence of AIDS over 20%. I know people working on the ground to help children orphaned by AIDS. If my grandmother can't get ordinary painkillers in Zimbabwe, I certainly don't believe that specialized drugs like antiretrovirals for people living with AIDS are any easier to come by. As a member of the leadership council for the Africans at Microsoft community, I am frequently asked by my African colleagues how they and Microsoft can make a difference in their home countries. Well, here's something that can help. And if my efforts contribute to success for (PRODUCT) RED, not only will it directly help people in Swaziland, Rwanda and Ghana, but maybe one day it will be able to help people in my country too.

More...