New extenders and IPTV unveiled for Windows Media Center

Windows Vista Team Blog

Paul's Avatar
Moderator

Location: wicklow mts
Paul will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
New extenders and IPTV unveiled for Windows Media Center
At CEDIA EXPO 2007 in Denver this week, a few of our partners unveiled new Windows Media Extenders that will let customers easily extend the Windows Media Center experience to other rooms in their homes. Companies involved included Linksys, D-Link and Niveus Media Inc. Their hardware is the latest attempt to breach the PC-to-TV barrier by way of Windows Media Center.
The new Windows Media Extenders are designed to utilize the Windows Media Center capabilities from PCs running Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate. Now they'll be sporting some great new features:
  • Support for Wireless N high-speed technology
  • Extended video codec support to include DivX and Xvid
  • Continued support for Windows Media Video HD files
  • Ability to send protected HD content to additional rooms, including recorded TV from over-the-air Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) or CableCard tuners
  • Ability to send movies and music available from providers such as CinemaNow, MovieLink and Napster
  • New Reuters news feeds, National Public Radio broadcasts, up-to-date sports reports from the FOX Sports Lounge and subscription music from XM Radio
  • Parental Controls built into Windows Media Center, allowing parents to choose the content their children are/not allowed to view
Also at CEDIA EXPO 2007, Life|ware and Niveus Media have both announced Windows Media Center PCs that support quad-CableCard setups. This new configuration enables users to enjoy four cable TV channels simultaneously.
We also announced plans to add an IPTV feature (US only) to Windows Media Center in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate. Expect more information on this new IPTV feature at DigitalLife in New York City on 27 September.
One more thing: I'd like to welcome Doug Berett to Microsoft. Doug developed the now free third-party plug-in WebGuide for Windows Media Center. WebGuide allows users to schedule TV shows and stream recorded TV shows from their Windows Media Center PC over the web to any device with a browser. Glad to have him aboard!

More...