Vistaheads Tip#24 - How to create a Hidden Share in Windows Vista
You have some important docs that you want access to on your network but you dont want anyone knowing the folder is there when they browse the network. Here is how you can hide your folder from the nosey people around you.
1. Select the Folder you want to share.
2. Right click the folder in Windows Explorer and click Properties.
3. Click the Sharing tab.
4. Click the Advanced Sharing button.
5. Click the Share this folder option.
6. Type in a name you want to call the shared folder.
7. Add a “$” character to the end of the share name.
7. Click OK.
To access the folder you will have to type in the path and the share name.
For example, \\MyVista\SharedFolder$.