how do i share a printer between vista and xp

Windows Vista How To's & Tutorials

dumbbunny is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how do i share a printer between vista and xp
I have a wireless laptop and an XP desk top with printer connected not wireless. I want to print from my lap top to the printer. I think I have loaded the printer onto my laptop but there is no connection. I have messed with the network to some degree but with no sucess. Please help.

repair1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: how do i share a printer between vista and xp
Click Start, and then click Network. (Or you can click Start, type ncpa.cpl into the search box, and press ENTER).
2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage Network Connections.
3. Right click on the Local Area Connection or the connection you are using.
4. Select the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
5. Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
6. Click the WINS tab.
7. Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.
8. Click Ok.

ipod repair solutions

cheap apple-ipod service

xbox 360 repair

Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tim_Tech_One is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: how do i share a printer between vista and xp
I dont understand how the above solution will work... at all, so I'll give another option here.

So let me make sure that I have this correct. You have a XP Desktop with a printer connected to it. You also have a laptop that you use wirelessly and you want to be able to print from your laptop without having to unplug the sucker from your desktop and then plug it into your laptop?? Is that correct??

If so, you have to start by first having the correct drivers. Your printer should have came with a CD with the drivers on it. If you lost it, like many people do, just go to the manufacturers website. For instances, if its an HP. Go to HP's main website. Look around for a link that says Support, Downloads or Drivers. Follow those links all the way until it ask you to select or enter in your printer model and then download it. I would recommend only downloading the necessary drivers. Not all of that other stuff.

Once you have the correct drivers on your laptop, your done with the easy part and moving on to the networking part.

Go to the XP computer that has the printer plugged into it.
Click on Start
Control Panel
Printers and Faxes
Find your printer and Right Click it
Click Properties
Click on the Sharing tab
Click the circle next to Share This Printer
Type in whatever you want to name your printer
Then Click Apply

Now lets do some of the step that the above guy suggested.

On your wireless laptop...
Click Start
Click Network
Click Network and Sharing Center
Click View Computers and Devices

At this point, if your laptop is connected to the same router that your XP computer is and there are no firewalls or anti-viruses blocking you... you should see your XP computer here in this list.

Double click on the XP computer
Double Click on Printers
Find your printer and Right Click it
Make that Printer your default

....and there ya go. Enjoy printing wirelessly, without a wireless printer.