Using tv as a second monitor on Vista

Windows Vista How To's & Tutorials

n_vidia20 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using tv as a second monitor on Vista
I'm Using an S-Video Cable, Mini Jack to RCA Audio Cable, Lenovo 3000 N200.

I'm trying to get my laptop to read an external monitor input. and it wont. i go to display settings and from there i don't know what to do. i tried messing around with it but it doesn't work. The Audio works but not the video.

My tv has a 4 pin s video socket and my computer has a 7 pin. i'm using a 4 pin s-video if that matter.would i have to press fn + f7 to make it work.

if someone could someone tell me the exact instructions on how do it, i would apperciate it.

n_vidia20 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Using tv as a second monitor on Vista
bumped post

rustle's Avatar

Location: Execeter
rustle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Using tv as a second monitor on Vista
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_vidia20 View Post
I'm Using an S-Video Cable, Mini Jack to RCA Audio Cable, Lenovo 3000 N200.

I'm trying to get my laptop to read an external monitor input. and it wont. i go to display settings and from there i don't know what to do. i tried messing around with it but it doesn't work. The Audio works but not the video.

My tv has a 4 pin s video socket and my computer has a 7 pin. i'm using a 4 pin s-video if that matter.would i have to press fn + f7 to make it work.

if someone could someone tell me the exact instructions on how do it, i would apperciate it.
Just managed to sort this out myself, I use it to record programmes from BBC iPlayer and the ITV equivalent.
Use your S Video cable to link computer and TV (4 pin works OK in the 7 pin socket for me).
For sound link headphone output from computer to phono input for TV (the red and white ones)
Next open your screen display control from Control Panel (don't know the techy term for this, is it video display or similar?) it's NVIDIA for me, and adjust the resolution to max or whatever you want using advanced tab. The computer screen display should appear on your TV.

Hope this works for you....only problem I have is it moves all my desktop icons around as I have to use a different resolution than usual and when I go back to the higher one icons are moved. If anyone has an answer to this I'd be happy to hear it.
rustle's Avatar

Location: Execeter
rustle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Using tv as a second monitor on Vista
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustle View Post
Just managed to sort this out myself, I use it to record programmes from BBC iPlayer and the ITV equivalent.
Use your S Video cable to link computer and TV (4 pin works OK in the 7 pin socket for me).
For sound link headphone output from computer to phono input for TV (the red and white ones)
Next open your screen display control from Control Panel (don't know the techy term for this, is it video display or similar?) it's NVIDIA for me, and adjust the resolution to max or whatever you want using advanced tab. The computer screen display should appear on your TV.

Hope this works for you....only problem I have is it moves all my desktop icons around as I have to use a different resolution than usual and when I go back to the higher one icons are moved. If anyone has an answer to this I'd be happy to hear it.
PS forgot to say you need to make sure your TV is switched to the appropriate AV mode, and if I connect the computer first with the TV off then turn on my TV and change to AV the picture appears automatically without having to use the CP.