No 1 100.00%
I already knew how to do this 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Location: Australia
c4consulting will become famous soon enoughc4consulting will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How to create a vista repair cd without the windows install disc
ISTA SOLUCTIONS
RE: RECDISC.EXE how to create a recovery/repair cd
window.google_render_ad(); As most of you have noticed by now, The beta version of Vista SP1 included a handy tool called recdisc.exe which allowed you to create a repair/recovery cd. Before that we could achieve this by a command line.
Sad to say for whatever the reason, in the final release, Microsoft disabled this feature, leaving us with nothing more than a pretty icon. While any users who have a Vista install cd can access these features by inserting their install cd into their computer, OEM users are left with a ‘go jump’ policy ( in the opinion of this writer).
Due to the amount of e-mails I have received since replying with a working fix I have decided to compile a detailed how to guide. I can confidently say that I have had a 100% success rate on all systems that I done this on. In case somebody is having trouble following the steps outlined below, or have a OEM version of windows (they don’t have a copy of the install cd) , I have compiled a SP1 repair/recovery disc, which you can download here
It’s important to note this is not the same repair cd that comes with some new systems, You cannot install or re-install windows . It simply allows you access tools to repair the installation, roll back to a back or system restore point and some other features.
1.Copy the recdisc.exe file out of sp1 vista beta or right click here and select save to download this file
2.Open up the system32 folder (C:\Windows\System32)
3.Select recdisc.exe and open up its properties (right clicking on the file will bring up the property selection)

4.Select the “security” tab

5.Click on “Advanced”
Select the “owners” tab and click “edit”

6.Select “Administrators” to change the owners ( alternatively you can select your user account)

7.Click OK, then Ok on the next screen
8.You should be looking at the “file security settings” window
Select “administrators” (or your user account)

9.Tick the “allow boxes” and “full control”, then OK and Ok
10. It’s a good idea to make a copy of this file, in case you need to add it back latter
11.Copy and replace the recdisc.exe file with the one you downloaded
12.Create a shortcut and place it on your desktop to enable easy access
13.That’s it !!

Running the Program:

1.Double Click the shortcut you created earlier (alternatively type in c:\windows\system32\recdisc.exe)
2. Follow the prompts, It will ask you to insert your vista install disc,
3.Then will ask you to insert a blank cd
4.That’s it

How to use it
1.Boot up the computer and hit the del or F2 key (depending on the computer) to enter BIOs
2.Navigate to the boot settings menu
3.Ensure the CDRom is the first boot preference
4.When prompted, press any key to boot off the cd
5.Wait for the cd to load
6.It will then load the install screen ( remember this cd will not install or re-install windows)
7.Select repair
8.Run the repair/recovery tool you need

Hope this Helps as mentioned before please contact me should you run into any problems