from Home Basic to Premium ,questions

Windows Vista How To's & Tutorials

dayton5959 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
I would like to know, as I am a novice at this,I have a Inspiron 531 with 4GB memory and know my computer can be upgradedto Home Premium,I already have Basic Vista. If I buy the Upgrade Home premium package from Dell,will it affect my original settings? I hope not because I can't reset them! I thought it was the upgrade that leaves the settings alone anyone know? I would be forever grateful..
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
Generally how it works, if you are upgrading and you have a upgrade disc then it should prompt you to just upgrade the editions and keep everything on your machine. You are not reformatting or anything when you simple upgrade so it should all carry over I would think. Especially going from Vista to Vista.

dayton5959 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
Thankyou for telling me the way it is when you upgrade from one Vista to another Vista,now could anyone tell me if the Home Premium Upgrade on the Dell website is better or is it just more expensive than the one on the Upgrade Anytime website? Could someone with experience with this tell me what would be best for this novice to buy?? Is one better or it just the money?

dayton5959 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
Thank you very much, What would you buy if you were me? From Dell or Anytime Upgrade?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
I would think no matter where you buy it the upgrade would be the upgrade. The only think I would maybe think about (if they even do this) is Dell having partners that integrated their software (bloatware) into the upgrade. Have you also considered just going to a store and buying the upgrade disc so you have it? But in theory I would think it would all be the same, upgrade is a upgrade.

dayton5959 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
I've thought of that,I also considered just buying a laptop later on,I'll just not worry about the upgrade. Thanks,I'd really be lost without you people helping me!! Later..............
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
Well if I was you, and did not have Vista Business prior here is what I would do and why. I would buy the full Vista Business software, not the upgrade. Reason behind that is then I can use it to reformat and also upgrade. If I bought just the upgrade then I cannot use that disc to reformat, because it needs a prior OS to upgrade (like going from XP to Vista this would be best used.) If you are really looking to go from Basic to Premium I would suggest buying Vista Premium, not the Vista Premium upgrade. Do you currently have the full install of Basic? That is another thing is if you have a upgrade disc of both it might not help you out much. But if your computer has a factory restore option to go back to Basic, then the Premium upgrade disc would be good enough. I myself am looking forward to Windows 7 which should be out late late this year or early next year.

dayton5959 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
I don't know anything about Windows 7?!! I have the full Vista Basic and the CD for it also. Maybe I could just wait for Windows 7,is it just like this Vista ?(Basic )That probably would be best to wait for something like this,something new!!
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: from Home Basic to Premium ,questions
Windows 7 is the next operating system that will pass Vista. Look it up for yourself and check it out. Microsoft has a Beta 1 of it out for people to download and try. It is basically what people call "what Vista should of been." I used the Beta on another of my machines and I have to say I am impressed and it is slick.