Login Extremely Slow ( Internet Sites )

Windows Vista Home Premium

Vistamire's Avatar
Member

Location: U. S. A.
Vistamire is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Login Extremely Slow ( Internet Sites )
I'm not talking about logging into Windows on startup...

I mean certain login / logon / sign in / sign on pages on certain websites take forever to load anymore. Ones such as: eBay, internet provider email accounts, certain forums (not this one). Facebook comes up fast. So, not all take forever, only certain ones.

No error screens come up; it just takes a long long time (sometimes several minutes) for a sign in screen to show up before I can input my user name & password.

This just began happening about 3 weeks ago.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this? Have scanned computer numerous times for malware. Nothing. Could errors in the registry cause this? Or what about a utility cleaner cleaning pre-fetch items, etc?
Vistamire's Avatar
Member

Location: U. S. A.
Vistamire is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Login Extremely Slow ( Internet Sites )
Thought I had this solved when I disabled all add-ons. Logging on sites such as eBay, AOL, etc soon became lightning fast as they always were, but the next time I booted up the computer, switched on the modem, & got on-line, it was back to molasses in the winter, yet all my add-ons still show disabled.
Vistamire's Avatar
Member

Location: U. S. A.
Vistamire is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Login Extremely Slow ( Internet Sites )
A better way at describing this problem would have been: Login to Secure Sites Extremely Slow.

I may have solved this. The cause of the problem seems as if it was rooted in the IE8 Internet Security Options. I adjusted some settings and have seen some (not 100%) improvement.

I don't recall ever changing any settings here. Possibly this was caused by some sort of Internet Explorer security update???

Last edited by Vistamire : 07-29-2012 at 11:03. Reason: spelling
Vistamire's Avatar
Member

Location: U. S. A.
Vistamire is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Login Extremely Slow ( Internet Sites )
Almost had it licked. But what I changed in the Internet Security Options reset itself back to the setting that won't allow secure sites to load. If I try resetting it, it stays at the same setting. I'm about 1/2 step away from taking this piece of work computer & busting it into 300 pieces. I believe Vista & IE are the worst pieces of work ever developed by anyone that made billions of dollars. Nothing but a racket. I'd rather go back to using Windows 3.1, XP, or even DOS. Vista is GARBAGE.

Vistamire's Avatar
Member

Location: U. S. A.
Vistamire is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Login Extremely Slow ( Internet Sites )
I did sort of solve this problem. It seemed to involve:
1. The compatibility button on IE8
2. Listing some of the sites that were hanging up as 'trusted' sites.
3. Reloading Akamai Netsession Interface, which I had chosen to delete at one time, thinking I didn't need it.

There may have been some other adjustments, but I didn't keep notes.

Finally the old lady was able to access her email. Everything was working FINE, until she got on one of her 'Twilight' sites & downloaded something that killed just about everything in the registry. I had to roll back the registry to before I solved the slow login mystery. Now I'm back to square one, but slow logins are the least of my worries. I regained all missing services except Windows Installer.

Suggestions worth sharing:

Don't delete Akamai. Stay off 'Twilight" sites.