Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /includes/functions_post_thanks.php on line 222

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /includes/functions_post_thanks.php on line 222
Windows Installer Service Missing - Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Installer Service Missing

Windows Vista Home Premium

Speedup My PC
Old 04-20-2012

Vistamire is on a distinguished road
Windows Installer Service Missing
I know this is a widespread complaint on-line, but I just have to know, has anyone been able to fix this problem?

I noticed my Windows Installer had problems when I tried to install software, and even later on tried to open MICROSOFT WORKS. Clicking on Works gives me the error: "Windows Installer Service is could not be accessed".

After spending 18 straight hours at the computer, I can't get anywhere.

I've tried the "msiserver.reg Merge" fix; the "unregister/regserver" fix; I tried to fix it in the registry, but msiserver is MISSING; I've tried fixing it in the services, but WINDOW INSTALLER is not listed there. About the only thing that happens is when I go to the file msiexec & click on it, I get a window up that tells me the version.

What gets me the most is going to Microsoft to download the version of Windows Installer that they claim is correct for my version of Vista, and when I download it, I get the error: "The update does not apply to your system."

My info:
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM Service Pack 1; 64-bit
Apparently had Windows Installer. V 4.5 on the system.

Please H E L P !!!

Last edited by Vistamire : 04-22-2012 at 08:23.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vistamire For This Useful Post:
Espyzer (06-02-2012), jamesk09 (05-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012

kramster will become famous soon enough
Re: Windows Installer Service Missing
I have a similar problem with 32-bit Vista. WIndows Installer disappears from Services and cannot be started. I have finally tracked the problem down to System Mechanic (v10). Windows Installer is in Services before running System Mechanic's Active Care but not afterwards. If I look at the Servics before reboot there is an error code next to Windows INstaller - "Failed to read description - Error code 2". After reboot Installer is gone again. I have logged this with Iolo and will advise the outcome.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kramster For This Useful Post:
annalee53 (05-24-2012), Espyzer (06-02-2012), Vistamire (06-08-2012)
Old 06-03-2012

Espyzer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I have a similar problem with 32-bit Vista. WIndows Installer disappears from Services and cannot be started. I have finally tracked the problem down to System Mechanic (v10). Windows Installer is in Services before running System Mechanic's Active Care but not afterwards. If I look at the Servics before reboot there is an error code next to Windows INstaller - "Failed to read description - Error code 2". After reboot Installer is gone again. I have logged this with Iolo and will advise the outcome.
Thanks Kramster, I also have system mechanic on 32 bit O.S. & find my Windows Installer not available with error code 641.
Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espyzer View Post
Thanks Kramster, I also have system mechanic on 32 bit O.S. & find my Windows Installer not available with error code 641.
Hi Espyzer,

Iolo provided me with a solution that worked. I had to restore from a previous system backup first. It involved putting the registry values of Windows Installer into the System Mechanic exceptions list. I've pasted their full reply below:
------------
First run the SafetyNet tool to see if this reinstates Windows Installer. If not try downloading the latest version of Windows Installer from Microsoft, or perform a system restore. Once Windows Installer is back try excluding the following file from being removed by the System Mechanic tools.

- What is SafetyNet, and how do I use it?
KBA-02014: What is SafetyNet, and how do I use it?

- Open the System Mechanic.
- Go to Toolbox> Individual Tools> Repair Problems.
- Click Start under Registry Tuner.
- under advanced, check custom optimization and repair
- click next and proceed to the 'test' tab
- On the 'test' tab click next and proceed to the 'options' tab.
- On the 'options' tab click Add button.
- Put check under Registry Name and add this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSIServer.
- Then put check on Exclude Keys, subkeys and values (Recursive) under Registry Name and as well as Partial Text Match OK under Registry Value.
- Press OK.
- Then click Next to finish the process.

Excluding the necessary items from this tool WILL NOT exclude these items from the Power Tools such as PC TotalCare, ActiveCare functions or the 'Repair All' function as these are designed to run on default settings. It would be best that you run the repairs through the individual toolbox.

Once the exclusion is set, and the registry tuner run, see if the error still occurs.
The Following User Says Thank You to kramster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2012

Vistamire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I have a similar problem with 32-bit Vista. WIndows Installer disappears from Services and cannot be started.

I meant to post my findings to this thread a while ago, but never got around to it. Yes, kramster, same here. I found System Mechanic ver 10.8.5.0 that I used for cleaning the registry kept erasing msiserver. I had to go to another computer, copy the registry entry & import it to this one. I keep a copy on disc in case it happens again.

It seems after the last System Mechanic 10 update, the registry cleaner began cleaning that entry which LED TO MANY PROBLEMS IOLO!

I believe System Mechanic is still causing problems elsewhere in the registry as my system is still wacky and all over the place.
Old 06-08-2012

Hi Vistamire,

Since I configured the exclusion into System Mechanic (see my earlier post) I have had no trouble at all - I've been keeping a very close watch on the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to kramster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2012
Jsh80st

Great forum, I like to solve many problemshttp://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...rsion=20070822
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...39;s Day Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ew Kindle Fire

Old 06-10-2012

Espyzer is on a distinguished road
Many thanks for your excellent advice & assistance, following the instructions from your thread I am happy to report my Installer is back & functioning, (Great) I have a secondary error but its a far more managable everyday type problem, ( to run certain updates as administrator). Once again thank you for your sage advice, Steve Youd
Old 10-25-2012

scott j. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espyzer View Post
Many thanks for your excellent advice & assistance, following the instructions from your thread I am happy to report my Installer is back & functioning, (Great) I have a secondary error but its a far more managable everyday type problem, ( to run certain updates as administrator). Once again thank you for your sage advice, Steve Youd
I contacted IOLO to teport this problem. I allowed them to remotely access my computer only to tell me that it was a virus that caused the Windows Installer Service to disappear and that it was not the fault of System Mechanic. The representative also offered to fix the problem for the mere sum of $200. What a deal. Crooks.