Formatting before Partitioning

Windows Vista Home Premium

El1mor1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Formatting before Partitioning
My machine is a 32 bit Vista home Premium I have two 250GB hard drives that came installed when i bought it refurbished three years ago .
A friend of mine gave me a Seagate 500GB HDD he didn't have paper work for.
I installed it and not having proper Knowledge or instruction I went strait to formatting without first partitioning.
Probably a twenty minutes of use ,ten of which I stepped away from -came back to a frozen machine.The mouse cursor was froze so I tried Ctrl + Alt + Del and still nothing.I waited for response three or four minutes or so tried the same thing again nothing so I shut down.
Started again a few hours later the same thing happened after fif**** or twenty minutes it froze again .So again I shut down ,then disconnected the new hard drive and have not had this problem since.
I need to add more hard drive space.In HP Advisor it lists the drive as "May need attention " .
By formatting without partitioning first .Have I ruined the new hard drive?

Last edited by El1mor1 : 01-06-2011 at 14:35. Reason: No longer a problem I removed hard drive in question
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Formatting before Partitioning
Hi Elmor1,

it may be damaged. Did your friend have any problems with it?

Did the machine freeze while you were formatting it?

regards

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by El1mor1 View Post