Windows Resource Protection - sfc /scannow problem

Windows Vista Home Premium

SENIOR CITIZEN is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Resource Protection - sfc /scannow problem
I have an Acer Aspire 5315-2698 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium and 2GB RAM, which was running slow and dropping SKYPE connections. I ran a sfc /scannow procedure, and received results indicating I had corrupt files, some of which could not be repaired. I found a forum that recommended downloading the Uniblue RegistryBooster program for a free diagnosis in this situation. It found 725 "bad" files, and I went ahead with their "fix" procedure. I couldn't detect any improvement, but afterwards I now find that when I attempt to do another sfc /scannow procedure, it will only run to about 77% and then indicate it cannt perform the requested function. I'm wondering what's going on here. Any help will be appreciated.
Senior Citizen
ZZZbo

Re: Windows Resource Protection - sfc /scannow problem
Try accessing your repair options by pressing f8 (when you see the f2/f10/f12 options (can be different combinations of these f options depending on your machine)) during laptop startup through this there are various options available with which to attempt repairs on what may turn out to be minor glitches and discrepancies on your machine's registry, this may clear up any issues sfc... has, there should also be some diagnostic and repair options amongst the f2/f10/f12 options as well that you might want to run. I had a similar chkdsk / sfc... issue that was resolved by running start up diagnostics and repairs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...sked-questions should guide you through the f8 options.

Skype can be slow and connections through it can come and go on an average home user machine, a number of factors come into play when two computers of differing/particular systems and locations stream information to each other online, someone more familiar with it than I may be able to offer you more helpful advice on various tweaks and settings you could apply so as to attempt to optimize your use of it on your current system and with specific Skypers.

Last edited by ZZZbo : 01-02-2011 at 17:49.

SENIOR CITIZEN is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Resource Protection - sfc /scannow problem
ZZZbo - Thank you very much for your reply, which I just now found. I will be looking into your suggestions! Happy New Year 20111.

[ZZZbo;1725774]Try accessing your repair options by pressing f8 (when you see the f2/f10/f12 options (can be different combinations of these f options depending on your machine)) during laptop startup through this there are various options available with which to attempt repairs on what may turn out to be minor glitches and discrepancies on your machine's registry, this may clear up any issues sfc... has, there should also be some diagnostic and repair options amongst the f2/f10/f12 options as well that you might want to run. I had a similar chkdsk / sfc... issue that was resolved by running start up diagnostics and repairs.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions should guide you through the f8 options.