Media Player, Media Center will not play DVDs.

Windows Vista Home Premium

Newbie

Location: United Kingdom
barrywebbski is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Media Player, Media Center will not play DVDs.
My PC has suddenly stopped playing DVDs in Media Player and Media Center, but does play CDs. I have tried all I know to solve this problem, and have consulted a competent local engineer and also the official Windows Magazine here in the U.K., but nobody has seen this problem before. I have tried to delete and reload the program, but this is not permitted. Also, I have tried to download or repair my version of Media Player (11.0.6002.18311) but a Microsoft error message tells me that the version installed on my PC is later than that on their web site, and that consequently I cannot download or repair Media Player from the Microsoft web site. Why not?! Why is their web site not up-to-date?! Any help and advice to solve this would be much appreciated. Incidentally, RealPlayer is now showing the same fault. Many thanks if you can assist!

karnyks22 will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Media Player, Media Center will not play DVDs.
barrywebbski Hi. Windows media player and media center are part of Windows OS. That is why you can't just delete them. If the same problem playing dvds happens with real player, then obviously the problem is not with windows media player. See if you have a system restore point to before the problem started and give that a try.
Newbie

Location: United Kingdom
barrywebbski is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Media Player, Media Center will not play DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnyks22 View Post
barrywebbski Hi. Windows media player and media center are part of Windows OS. That is why you can't just delete them. If the same problem playing dvds happens with real player, then obviously the problem is not with windows media player. See if you have a system restore point to before the problem started and give that a try.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I already tried system restore, but with no improvement. I take your point regarding Windows OS and RealPlayer, but a program called Media Player Classic does play DVDs, which makes things all the more puzzling!

dahai7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts