Game disks not reading in vista & have tried everything!

Windows Vista Home Premium

LittleMissMoxie is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Game disks not reading in vista & have tried everything!
I know that there are other threads like this, but none of them ever worked. I've been having a problem for months with my CD/DVD drive only working whenever it feels like it. I have an HP TouchSmart with a Tsstcorp CD/DDW TS-T633A driver, and Vista home premium service pack 2. The computer will act like it's going to load the disk; I can hear it spin for a few seconds, and a cd spinning will show up next to my mouse cursor, but the icon under my computer never switches from DVDRW Drive (I. Sometimes it does decide to load the games, but it does it eratically and there seems to be no real reason why. It has absolutely no problem with reading music cds, but can't burn them to where they actually play in a stereo.

I have already tried going to device manager and uninstalling the drive, then rebooting. This fixed worked for a couple weeks, but it had to be done everytime a game disk was taken out. The drive is working properly according to device manager.

I then tried the fix of going into regedit and deleting UPPER and LOWER filters in file {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. This had absolutely no effect.

I ran Microsoft Fix-it, but after it has be load a cd/dvd, it either says there is no playable media (but it's a game that occasionally plays) or it says it can't see the cd at all.

I then found some articles saying that uninstallling Nero could affect it, which I had done a few months after buying the computer, because I never used it. So, I went and downloaded a 15 day trial, but that didn't work either.

I considered buy a new drive, but I found other threads where people had done this, and the problem just restarted after a few days.

Is there some other fix out there for this that anyone knows of? This seems to be a pretty common problem, but none of the other things worked for mine, and this is sooo frustrating. I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7, but I'm mighty afraid of the problems I'll face with it. I was very satisfied with Windows up until I had to endure Vista. Now, I'm starting to consider donating the computer to charity and upgrading to a Mac for the first time.