No start-up after new motherboard

Windows Vista Home Premium

jinscho is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No start-up after new motherboard
About a week ago the motherboard on my HP pavilion a6300f took a crap (apparently a very common problem), after replacing it with an EVGA nforce 750i SLI ready board i found out the hard way that Vista will not load due to the drivers. I decided to try the "backup discs" that i had created when i first got the computer as HP does not ship an OEM disc with the initial package, and apparently those discs as well have the old driver information saved to them. Now I am at a loss. I have the product key, I have all of the other information to go along with it. Microsoft can not get me a replacement disc as the license goes back to HP and HP can not guarentee that the disc they will send me will work as I've replaced the motherboard. Any ideas as to what I can do here? I really can't afford to shell out $150 bucks for a new full version of Vista, and I really don't want to as I technically own Vista already and HP was just too cheap to send a disc along with it. Any advice on this would be great.

Kinz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No start-up after new motherboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinscho View Post
[...]
Sounds like a real problem. If it were me, I'd buy a new OEM cd from Newegg. Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

jheveran is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No start-up after new motherboard
jinscho

For a solid understanding of OEM licensing visit this link:

Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing Forum • View topic - Upgrade pitfall?

I trust the advice of Mr. Mueller. There should be no need for you to shell out hard-earned bucks to Microsoft.

Also, HP installs a recovery program on all its computers. Usually it can be activated by pressing F10 during the boot-up process. This recovery option is the OEM licensing software HP uses so unfortunately you will run into the same problem activating the license.

Good luck.