Windows vista home premium problem( set association control panel

Windows Vista Home Premium

prat80 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows vista home premium problem( set association control panel
Hi friends
I need help to get my computer back to normal.Couple of days befor , my destop was infected by vista internet security 2010 virus,even though i had programs like AVG 9.0, spybot, adware . None of the applications( AVG,yahoo messneger,other music folders) were working,except for internet explorer under a differnt user name in the computer. i managed to get rid of the visat virus. But still None of the programs are still working other than internet explorer. When i try to open any programs , it shows an error message ''this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the set associations control panel.'' but still the internet explorer works,after clicking out this errror message. I tried to start in safe mode and did the system restore , but still doesnt work . i managed to download AVG again.But i am not able to download malware programs . Is there any way to get back my computer as normal. Any help very much appreciated. i am not really goodin computer trouble shooting. Please HELP.......
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Windows vista home premium problem( set association control panel
Quote:
Originally Posted by prat80 View Post
[...]

Hi prat80,

there is nothing worse than when this happens...

Lets try and remove the virus from the system without loading windows.

The way to do this is to run one of the many Rescue Discs from the major Antivirus Makers.

There is a great article at Kaspersky Rescue Disk – Load Kaspersky AntiVirus 2009 Using DOS which gives you step by step instructions on how to make a boot cd that you start your PC with and this then uses Kaspersky Anti Virus to scan your hard drive without loading windows.

This means that the malware you have on the PC cannot start. This means it cannot stop you from removing it.

Try this first and we will see how it goes from there.

Remove the CD after and restart windows. Then go to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com and download Mawarebytes as I have found this to be very good at removing malware.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

If you have any problem, get back and let us know,

regards

Steve

prat80 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows vista home premium problem( set association control panel
[Hi steve

First, let me thank you for your easy to follow instructions and help. I made a boot CD ( kaspersky rescue disc) and did the scan with it without loading the windows. it took almost 3 hours to complete the scan. Then removed CD and restarted the windows. Still none of my applications in the computer worked. But the internet explorer stil works fine ( with regular speed).I tried to download the malwarebytes anti malware program from download.com. But when i run the program, error message pops ''ShellExecuteEx failed;code 1155. No application is associated with the specified file for this operation. '' I also tried to download yahoo messneger, but again not working, but internet works fine. Do you think running the boot CD again would do any good( as i saw an update tab on the rescue disk). AVG still runs fine and finds no threats. Do you still recommend me to use the internet as normal. Looking forward to hear from you. thanks a lot for your assistance .

regards
[...]

lets try and get the file association reinstated.

There are instructions on how to do this at this page... .EXE files always open with Notepad or any other application ?

Hopefully this should do the trick,

regards

Steve