Data Retrieval & System Restore: My OS has crashed!

Windows Vista Home Premium

Vistaestta's Avatar

Vistaestta is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Data Retrieval & System Restore: My OS has crashed!
Well, for starters I would direct your attention to this post over on social.technet.microsoft.com - responded to by Knox7 (at the bottom of the page) and mentioning Robinson Zhang, who we later discovered is a Microsoft Tech Support guy that apparently knows his way around these issues.

So anyway, the aforementioned poster's solution won't work, in this instance; even though, our problem is the same, because Vista won't start and we're getting the black screen with the flashing cursor too. Although, saving the data from volume C to d is not going to work for us, because our D drive appears to be full of restore points; even though, we only have one restore point saved. Yeah, I know sounds odd; even though, D Drive is red; it being so full of unrecognized restore points, error logs or whatever the case may be. Needless to say, it's quiet evidently something major is wrong with this system and probably has been for sometime.

So now on to what we've tried, thus far:
After working on it for a consider amount of time, We can finally get the system to boot up to the password entry screen in Safe Mode; whereas, if we tried the same thing in normal mode, it just goes to the black scrollable screen. System Restore won't work. System Scan reports Window 32 is bad and that it cannot be fixed. So, by all accounts, the problem cannot be fixed beyond that point, unless there is a manual way to do so - that being something we clearly don't know about. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Issue #1,...and most importantly to us, being Data Retrieval, before anything is lost. For we've already confirmed the data stored on the hard drive is still there. So, we just want to get it off the affected system and saved to another storage device, be it our other laptop or our external drive, which is more than sufficient in size. This being of the utmost importance to us, because we're planning a wedding - and everything we've done thus far, is on the affected laptop. So, if anyone can offer any suggestions as to how we might be able to retrieve that data, we'd be most appreciative. Then, we can address the system restore issue; even setting it back to factory default, if need be. Although, getting the data off the laptop is essential and that will need to be addressed first. Oh and we don't have an OS install disk, the OS we got came on the system. So, case and point, there is no disk available to us, to aid in correcting this problem. It's going to have to be a manual data retrieval and a manual fix, or nothing at all. But, we've got to get the data off here; even if the laptop is a total loss, for now - until we can get a new OS to install on it.

Hind sight 20/20, I know now I should have backed it up before this. Although, I'm left to have to deal with the fallout of the situation as it is now. So let's all put our heads together and prevent the birth of Bridezilla , shall we...because I'd rather not be a frustrated bride. I just want my laptop with Vista Home Premium to work, when it should.

So, if you can offer any suggestions and/or any viable solutions, please by all means do and thank you in advance.

Last edited by Vistaestta : 03-29-2010 at 20:04.