Locked out by disabling all accounts???

Windows Vista Home Premium

katemonster52 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locked out by disabling all accounts???
Help please! I am locked out of my laptop! First what happened was the login screen randomly changed from showing all 3 of my user accounts (with their pictures, and you would click on it to enter your password) to showing only the last logged in account and another icon for "other users" which you would have to enter the user name and password of the account you wanted. I have no idea why this happened, I am certain I didn't do anything to change this as I wasn't messing around with settings or anything before this. Anyway I wanted to access my main account, which is also the only admin account, but it wouldn't accept my username and password even though the password was definitely correct (I tried many times). So basically I went into one of my standard accounts, deleted the admin password, tried again, no luck. Then I thought maybe the username could be wrong and maybe if it was the last logged in account it would work. Which is when I came up with the not-so-genius plan of signing in as a guest, deleting the other two accounts and then turning off the guest account again, thus making the main account that I want access to, the only one left.

No such luck. And now it seems I have deleted all accounts, as when I type in guest or administrator as the usernames, it comes up with the message "Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator". I have also researched this on the net but can't find anyone with the same problem, and I've tried this hidden administrator thing by restarting in safe mode but still no luck. If anyone has any advice for me that would be fantastic, thank you!

Katie

Location: USA - Wyoming
sinseer1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Locked out by disabling all accounts???
Hi Katie!
I haven't heard of this problem before, please fill in some details. How are you able to type in a username and password, if there aren't any (operable) user accounts active? does the login screen allow you to type something in at startup?

do you have the vista dvd, or a restore cd from the oem factory?

I will probably be asking a lot of questions, just to undersatnd more of your dilema, so don't feel like I am doing it to be demeaning, I just like to know all the facts.

katemonster52 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Locked out by disabling all accounts???
Hi, thanks for your reply!

Ok, so first of all my log in screen was similar to this one

(note this isn't my picture, just a similar one found on an image search)

Then randomly it changed to something like this one

Well, not exactly like it, it doesn't pop up in a box, but it comes up with a square and two fields like above, but the rest of the screen is the same as the first pic, except the background has also changed to be plain blue like in the second pic There's one field for entering username and one for password. Thats where I've tried typing the user name as Administrator with no password set, and it tells me its disabled. If I try username "Katie" as that was my original main account, it says username or password is incorrect. Also there appears to be something wrong with the red button in the bottom right corner - the shut down button works but if I click on the options arrow next to it, nothing happens.

Also, I probably will have the Vista dvd somewhere but not at my house so I haven't been able to try it yet. But even if I did have it, would I be able to do anything with it anyway when I can't log in?

If theres any other info you need please just let me know, I really appreciate you trying to help me!

Katie

Location: USA - Wyoming
sinseer1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Locked out by disabling all accounts???
Hi katie, thanks for the information.

I am trying some things with my version of vista, so it may be a bit before I can give you a solution.

First though, do you have access to a cd burner? if you do, then please follow the steps from this web site, and burn a recovery CD as stated in the article.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files

an easy way to find out if your vista is 32 bit, or 64 bit, is to look on the product KEY sticker.

if you do not have torrent software on the PC you are using, then I would recommend micro torrent (utorrent) at

Torrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

to burn the .iso follow this link:

Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

and I recommend image burn to burn your iso:

The Official ImgBurn Website

creating the vista recovery cd, will at least allow us to be able to use a command prompt, if a system restore does not work.

in the system recovery center.

Location: USA - Wyoming
sinseer1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Locked out by disabling all accounts???
Hi katie, I sent a reply, but I am assuming it is waiting for a moderator to approve the links in the reply. so I am writing this to let you know I did send a reply, lol.

let me know when you have gotten the recovery cd burned, and we can try a few things with it. otherwise, if you did get your vista install cd, we can use that, if burning a disc is not an option.

Thanks