"this update can only run on microsoft windows vista"

Windows Vista Home Premium

americ90 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"this update can only run on microsoft windows vista"
And I have Vista Home Premium...

I recently did a complete C: Drive restore from my computer having crashed and all of my Sony Vaio software was lost.

I downloaded some software from the esupport website from Sony which contains all VAIO software and drivers and I've been having trouble installing one of them (the most important one) because I keep receiving error messages saying "this update can only run on microsoft windows vista". I've tried right clicking and running the Sony Shared Library .exe file (the thing I'm trying to install) "as an administrator" but I'm still receiving the same message. I also tried right clicking (left clicking for how i have it set up :]), clicking properties and going under the Compatibility tab and check marking "run this program as an administrator" just to make super sure it was working, but I still get the same message, or error message as I see it.

I've been searching google with the keywords "this update can only run on microsoft windows vista" but haven't found anything that helps me .-. .

The laptop I have is a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ290 (EcoFriendly Edition) and it's running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I'm really lost on what to do, and I'm hoping someone can help me!
Anything else y'all need to know and I'll tell you.

JasonDC25 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "this update can only run on microsoft windows vista"
Quote:
Originally Posted by americ90 View Post
[...]

So its been around 2 years since you posted your question. Well, you now have someone with a similar problem! I was wondering if you have figured out a fix for your problem. I recently posted this message on Microsoft's forums: "Until today, I was unable to authenticate my version of Vista Home Premium running on a Sony VGN-FZ140 laptop. My copy was authentic, but for some reason my Product Key on my laptop didn't work. Then, I tried "Other ways to activate". I then was able to change my key. I put in the same key, my computer connected online and BOOM! Problem solved. However, I still get a message when trying to reinstall a graphics driver that says, "this update can only run on microsoft windows vista". When I go into my System Information, it says I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Then I tried running the .exe containing my graphics driver under Compatibility Mode, only to find that Vista SP2 was NOT on the list of OS's to run the program! However, the defaulted OS chosen was Windows XP SP2. I must find a way for my computer to recognize its own JUNK! This all stemmed from S-Video output problems so I figured I would try to reinstall the graphics driver. If you know why my computer doesn't recognize its own OS, please let me know! Perhaps a virus caused this? I noticed a similar question from another Sony laptop user. He was receiving the same message, "this update can only run on microsoft windows vista". His post unfortunately had no suggestions. Hopefully someone here might be able to help. Thanks!"

There ya go. Got my fingers crossed!