Connect via cable Vista Home and Win98se

Windows Vista Home Premium

Alex1970 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Connect via cable Vista Home and Win98se
Dear Community,

can anyone tell me how i can connect my relativle new vista home premium notebook with my relativly old windows 98se pc?
I simply want to copy data from the old one to the new one and wanted to connect the two by cable.

my vista Notebook shows me in the network-window, that there ist a LAN - but i can not show the data

thank you very much in advance!!

best regards from austria
alexander
Dwarf's Avatar

Location: Doncaster, UK
Dwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hi Alexander,

Simply use a USB memory stick. Plug it in to your Win98 SE machine and copy all (or as much as you can) of the required data onto the stick and then transfer the stick to your Vista machine and then copy the data off the stick to the required location(s). You may need to repeat a few times, depending upon how much data you need to transfer and what the capacity of your memory stick is.
Dwarf

Alex1970 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Dwarf,

it sounds so simple and easy. Problem ist, that my 98se-computer also is not surprised about my kingston data traveler usb-stick. I bought it specially for data-transfer and i am really not happy about the malfunction.

do you have an other idea?

Thanks a lot
Alexander
Dwarf's Avatar

Location: Doncaster, UK
Dwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hi Alexander,

Did your USB-stick come with a driver disk? Even though Win98 SE supports USB devices, there are some cases where it requires a driver in order for the device to work correctly. What is the exact model of your USB-stick?
Dwarf

Alex1970 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Dwarf,

die exakte Modellnummer lautet:
KINGSTON DataTraveler 1 GB DTI/1GB

It wasn't sthipped with a disk.

Best regards from austria
Alexander
Dwarf's Avatar

Location: Doncaster, UK
Dwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hi Alexander,

Try the following link. Many devices don't come with drivers these days because support is built-in to most current operating systems. Drivers are usually, but not always, available at the manufacturer's website for older OSs.
Dwarf
Kingston Technology Company - Support - Downloads - USB DataTraveler