D Drive Full / Help Please

Windows Vista Home Premium

pammie63 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
D Drive Full / Help Please
Hey everyone..

I need help badly. My D Drive appears to have 0% free space..

There is a view that shows by bar graph, how much space each drive has, my C Dive is 80% free, the green graph is low, my F Drive is 50% free, so the green graph bar is half green, and the D drive, show full RED, I guess meaning that its full.

I'm afraid that I might be on the verge of a crash? I don't know why its full, I don't backup to the D drive, that I know of. I backup to CD's, which I haven't done in a long time.

But I'm not sure what I should do, should I clean it out, and if so, how do I do that?

Let me know if you need additional information, Thanks for any help.
Pamela

Miykle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
G'Day Pamela; Could you let us know is this a partition on a large drive or is it a separate drive, also how big is it, and what do you usually store on it,lastly when did you defrag and clean it up last.
blessings Miykle

pammie63 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Miykle,

Well... I'm not sure, so let me tell you how I get to that drive and you can tell me if this is what you wanted to know...

Start/Computer/Recovery (D

When I hover my mouse over this drive, it says:
Space Free: 730 MB
Total Size: 8.88 GB

What do I usually store on it? As far as I know, I have never ever done anything to it.. I don't even store things on my C drive.. except for music, I put everything on my external F drive.

My last defrag.. Umm last month I created a defrag, but it always says it doesn't need it.. Should I try it again? I'll do that and let you know..
I'll get back with you on the defrag..

Thanks so much... Pamela

pammie63 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again..

I just started a defrag.. it says:

Your File System Performance is Good
You do not need to defragment at this time.

You know.. with my XP I had the chance the select with Drive to defrag..
with this Vista... it doesn't give me that option.. so I'm not sure if that's for both drives or not?

Pamela

Miykle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
G'Day Pamela : That D: recovery is a partition set up by the PC manufacturer to reinstall your OS if it ever crashes,in all programs there should be a "Recovery Manager" which will allow you to repair or recover the OS also if its a HP you can use F11 from boot incase it will not boot up, basicly it is only big enough to house the recovery ( compressed ) version of what was on your PC when you bought it.
If you enter Computer there should be another (C drive which holds the current OS and all your files, if this is big enough, couple of hundred gig or so, it's a good Idea to partition it into two separate drives, the second to store your file so if you have a disaster in the OS you loose none of your files.
The defrag in Vista isn't much so go here Auslogics Products
and download disc and registry defrag (free) and defrag regularly, keeps everything in order.
Hope this helps
Blessings Miykle

pammie63 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Miykle,

On the Defrag: Thanks so much for the link to get the free defrag software.. I couldn't beleive it.. While Vistas defrag since I got this beast, never says I have to defrag.. This is what happened when I ran the two softwares:

Disk Defrag: It found 3831 files to defrag.. Fragmentation Before 0.59%, Fragmentation After: 0.00%, Speed Increased by 1%

This software also found 6662 Junk files and suggested Scan and Removal.. but of course in clicking that, it takes me to Auslogics website to purchase it.. Is there a good free one?

Registry Defrag: Registry defrag reduced the size of registry by 7,812kb (9%) and improved the speed of the registry access by 14%

In Doing this defrag.. I'm not sure if it did the d drive either? Oh, it must have because now when I hover my mouse over the d drive, it says 823mb free instead of 730mb free.. but not by much..

I still don't know if having that much free space is normal? Or is something in there that doesn't need to be.. I have no idea how to tell....

C Drive: My C Drive Info: Total Size 363 GB, Free Space: 288 GB
You say its a good idea to partition it into two seperate drives.. Is my C drive big enought for that? And How do I do it?

Thanks, Pamela

Miykle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
G'Day again Pamela; I've been on to HP, just to be sure of my ground, and that D: drive is a recovery partition, they do that so they don't have to ship a disc with your PC, now this is important, if you haven't already done so, you need to get 2 x good quality disc's, I used gold disc's (Kodak), they are good for supposedly 300 years (??) now in all programs there is a "recovery manager", click on that and you should have an option "recovery disc creation", click on that and follow the prompts to create your recovery discs, incase you ever have a HD failure, don't try to do anything with the D: drive, it's not for use, the files stored in there are very compressed so you cannot add or subtract from them. Also if ever you cannot boot use F11 and it will open the recovery manager in DOS and you can restore your system, but unfortunatley not your files.
The next thing is you have a hugh HDD and a Data patition would be a very good idea, safer for your file and easier to defrag, go to As Partition Magic alternative, EASEUS Partition Manager for Windows PC and Servers to Resize, Move, Create, Delete and Format partitions, etc. Free for home users. a simple program to set up and move partitions,and it's free. Backup your file to disc DVD's are the best, they can be formatted to act like another drive ie. you can delete drag to and do all the same thing you can with a HD.
let me know you got on before you play with the partition manager.
Blessings Miykle

JimB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Partition Magic is not suited for Vista ! On that we agree I hope. Are you sure this EASEUS is fit for Vista. It isn't mentioned on their website I mean. One can use Vista's own partioning tool or GParted.

Miykle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
G'Day JimB, I'm not sure what the storey is with the compatability deal, but I have two HDD in my PC plus two externals and have use EASEUS to partition all of them without and dramas, using Vista OS, I've never used it with XP, I used to use G Parted ISO on XP but it can get a bit complicated, The only thing I noticed with Easeus is I could only perform 1 opperation at a time, set up > execute > setup next OP. but in a way I liked that as I felt like I was in control.
Well worth trying.
Blessings Miykle

JimB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well in that case it works for Vista too, allthough it's not mentioned. I'm very sure Partition Magic does not work for Vista. I've read that on different forums. I mean you took a risk using Easeus to partition a drive. Unless you read somewhere it can be used to partition Vista.