uninstalling vista

Windows Vista Home Premium

fritz3247's Avatar

fritz3247 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uninstalling vista
once vista is installed.and you want to uninstall it.is it hard to unistall it?
ive heard it is hard .want to get more info.on this befor i do an install.just
in case i dont like it.tks.for any info.on thisTony
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes if you have the upgrade DVD, then you can boot into XP, insert the DVD and start the upgrade. It will install it in a manner where you can later uninstall it.

However, most who have been through the upgrade process over the years, recommend that you start with another drive and do a clean install. Now, the process of doing a clean install with upgrade disc has changed from XP to Vista. In XP, you had to have the previous version disc to insert at a particular point when it called for. With the Vista upgrade, there is a process to go through.

Here is a link to a document on another site going through the entire process: PC World Community: From XP to Vista. Read through the document and if you have questions, come back. I am currently responding using my older XP laptop which at one time I had Vista installed on, but was unable to find drivers for the integrated ATI graphics card, so I removed the HD on which I had installed Vista and replaced the original XP drive. No harm, no foul.

I currently run Vista only on two machines, XP only on two machines and both a fifth machine. Vista is my favored OS, I had just fired up this machine to update it when I came across your question.
__________________
User of Vista since May, 07

Last edited by PapaBear : 07-13-2008 at 04:34.
fritz3247's Avatar

fritz3247 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what your telling me is that vista wont work with a ATI CARD.that is what i have.i would have to buy a diff.card.ok tks.Tony

Gailinka is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uninstalling Vista & Installing XP
Hi...I have a different sort of question.

I have 2 Vistas...a desktop and a laptop. Both are under 6 months old.

I wished I could have bought them both with XP instead, but couldn't. My old computer with XP is much faster, I have all the software installed on there that I need and to purchase some of the new software to work on a Vista will cost me a fortune.

How do I go about uninstalling Vista and installing XP on these computers? Would you recommend having this done by a 'professional' instead of trying this on my own.

Thanks.
ptath2's Avatar

ptath2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need to install xp for you old applications, go to 100% Safe Downloads - SVSDownloads.com, it is a frees software virtualization tool that allows you to run applications in virtual layers, and its free. It works like a charm.

Gailinka is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Virtual Layers
Thanks...this sounds very interesting. I've never heard of running applications in 'virtual layers'.

So you're saying that I can install XP onto my Vista computers by using the free software and that won't mess up my computer?

I can use my old XP software [and install it] onto my Vista machine?

Are there any problems with doing this or will one system override the other?

Thanks again.
ptath2's Avatar

ptath2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailinka View Post
Thanks...this sounds very interesting. I've never heard of running applications in 'virtual layers'.

So you're saying that I can install XP onto my Vista computers by using the free software and that won't mess up my computer?

I can use my old XP software [and install it] onto my Vista machine?

Are there any problems with doing this or will one system override the other?

Thanks again.
you don't need to install xp, it doesn't virtualize the os, but rather the application. It essentially sets up a virtual working layer for the application, when you set it applications it will extact it, much like and installation (so it won't save you space), and runs it in an abstracted layer so there is no dll conflicts, most people run it to solve compatiability problems between Vista and XP, you can also run an old win 95 program. It also gives you add stability, if an application isn't playing nice and crashes it doesn't effect your system, just the layer your app is running in, you can get going again by reseting the application. I have seen a demo where some one is runs two different versions of Power Point on one machine at the same time (not that you want to, but it shows the extent that it keeps conflicts from arising).

One caveat however, the default configuration virtualizes your work as well, so it dissapears when your app does, but you just set up an exception for your My Documents folder (or wherever you save stuff), and you should be fin.

it is a prodcut from Altiris (purchased by Symantec) you can find videos on youtube by searching Altiris SVS. The personal version is still free.

some find this a better solution to temporary application problems (assuming most will upgrade or patch to work with Vista) than going back to xp.

Gailinka is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information.

It sounds very complicated to me, but I'm sure some of our experienced computer friends will know what this means and can help me set this up.

Will doing this help to speed up my connections or is that always going to be happening if I have Vista on the computer?

Thanks again.
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Galinka - it is always best to open your own question rather than tagging into one that may be similar, but is in fact different. Yours related to running programs in Vista, Fritz3247's is about uninstalling Vista after performing an upgrade.

Frit3247 - it depends on which ATI card you have. My problem related to the ATI mobile 9000/9100 card. If you are on a desktop with a separate card you may be able to find an ATI Vista driver for it. Check the website of the manufacturer of your card first and if that fails the ATI website. The problem with the ATI 9000/9100 mobile integrated card is that it first of all has no onboard memory and only uses 64MB of shared memory. A more powerful card should not give a problem, and in worst case if you have a desktop, you have the option of upgrading the card.
__________________
User of Vista since May, 07
ptath2's Avatar

ptath2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailinka View Post
Thanks for the detailed information.

It sounds very complicated to me, but I'm sure some of our experienced computer friends will know what this means and can help me set this up.

Will doing this help to speed up my connections or is that always going to be happening if I have Vista on the computer?

Thanks again.
Complicated? a little more than normal but I would think it is less than uninstalling Vista, installing XP and setting everything back to normal. Here is a video of some one using it to test a different version of firefox while keeping the existing one in place. There is one extra step and that is installing through the SVS console.
YouTube - Safely install software to a virtual layer