Error Message: Connected with Limited Access

Windows Vista Home Premium

BPreston is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Error Message: Connected with Limited Access
I have a Sony Vaio laptop and had an excellent signal and connection to my wireless router until recently. I inserted a flash drive into my laptop and was prompted to join my own network. I replied YES and was instantly kicked off line. I tried to reconnect and was unable to... and am getting an Error Message: Connected with Limited Access. The only way I can get an internet connection to my laptop now, is to use an ethernet cord. A second computer and my Xbox 360's internet connections are running fine.
Apparently, there were some wireless settings saved on the flash drive and are now applied to my laptop. I can't figure out how to reverse what's done... any advice?

BrianBruce is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you checked ipconfig /all to see if you can find and ipaddress and/or default gateway? Have you tried to ping them? Does vthis sound like a different language?
__________________
Brian Bruce
MCTS-Vista

"No great man live in vain. History is but the biographies of great men."

BPreston is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't... I was online w/a tech from Sony for hours the other day as he tried to walk me through this. I ended up saving my pics and documents to discs and rebooting back to factory default settings and the problem still occurs. It's almost like I deauthorized myself in my own network because my cousin's PC and Xbox are getting an excellent signal. How do I go about doing what you suggested?

Location: San Diego
shawna.9 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Have The Answer!!!!!
OK i have a few, fairly simple solutions. I did the same thing when I got my new computer with vista... and i think i know exactly what you did and how to fix it. OK here are most of the steps involved:

READ ENTIRE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST AND CHECK YOUR CONNECTION STATUS BEFORE CONTINUING ON TO EACH STEP!

1. Go to your "Network and Sharing Center". (Either in the control panel or typing it in on your start menu where it says "Start Search")

2. Next click "Manage Network Connections" (its on the very far left side, Under the "TASKS" column, THIRD option down, located underneath "connect to a network")

3. Once the widow opens that shows all saved Network Connections, FIND THE CONNECTION YOUR TRYING TO CONNECT TO.... RIGHT CLICK AND DELETE. Continue to confirm you want to delete the connection.

4. Now go back the the "Network and Sharing Center" click connect to a network, find your connection, and click connect.

5. The depending on your connections security features, either enter your password, or if it is an unsecured network (which will make a huge difference in how you set up the settings) click "yes connect anyway".

6. Now you should be prompted to select your settings, you have to options-
READ ENTIRE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST AND CHECK YOUR CONNECTION STATUS BEFORE CONTINUING ON TO EACH STEP!
1) for an "unsecured" connection you "MUST"(setting may vary) SELECT PUBLIC- then Next- then close!!, this is KEY!... Depending on the SET Requirements of the connection, (Vista (should) choose the correct setting for you, regarding; Network Discovery, File Sharing, etc. (those are the options below your selected connection with the little "green lights" next to them))--- If you are still "limited" status, change the "Sharing and Discovery" settings... Network Discovery OFF or ON depending on current status, also TURN FILE SHARING OFF! (if its not already), (an easy way to do this is to look on the "Network and Sharing Center" page under your connection, and click the "green lights"). Also make sure "password protected sharing" is on (that shouldn't make a difference in your connection status, its simply for your protection). NOW YOU SHOULD BE CONNECTED!! if this does not work, feel free to ask me for more help!

2) for a "Secure" connection, once the "Set Network Location" window opens (if it doesn't, click "Customize" on the "Network and Sharing Center" page, it should be on the right side of the window, under the "Internet" (Globe) Image, it is "link" format... this will open the "Set Network Location" page)--- once you have that window open; select "Private Network", then click next- then done- then close. Now here is the tricky part......... from personal experience TURN ALL "GREEN LIGHTS" ON!!!... Network Discover ON, File Sharing ON, etc. This should fix your problem, but if not, here are a couple trouble shooting tips-------
a) "Set Network Location" page, right side, last option, click "DIAGNOSE and REPAIR" it may give you the option to reset "wireless network adapter" do that first--- if that doesn't fix it, you should now have the option to "automatically RENEW IP ADDRESS" do that second. After doing both you should be set to go.
b) Click "CUSTOMIZE" again-- then at the very bottom of the "Set Network Location" page select "MERGE OR DELETE NETWORK LOCATION" link... if you have several of the same location, DELETE ALL duplicate locations, EXCEPT FOR THE ONE "IN USE". Next click close and check you status.
c) none of these option work and you are still limited feel free to ask me for more help!

There are several trouble shooting options for this situation, but this reply is too long as it is, and theres no way I'm going to go over every single option. Although this pretty much covers it, theres still things you can do to fix it, SO DON'T GIVE UP JUST YET!!! Contact me by replying or if you can find my contact info on my profile, send me an email or aim message and ill be glad to help you out!!! HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL and I HOPE THIS HELPED!!!!!!!!

Last edited by shawna.9 : 05-04-2008 at 18:51.

BrianBruce is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Shawna.9's suggestion helped, great, if you want more information about ipconfig just email me. My Address is on my vcard on my profile page.
__________________
Brian Bruce
MCTS-Vista

"No great man live in vain. History is but the biographies of great men."

BPreston is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Shawna, I tried what you instructed and once I opened my network connections, as you mentioned in step 2. But once in NETWORK CONNECTIONS, it didn't list my actual connections. It listed my LOCAL AREA CONNECTION and WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION. It used to list the names of the networks until I restored the complete system as advised by Sony who made the laptop. ???????????

Location: San Diego
shawna.9 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPreston View Post
Thank you Shawna, I tried what you instructed and once I opened my network connections, as you mentioned in step 2. But once in NETWORK CONNECTIONS, it didn't list my actual connections. It listed my LOCAL AREA CONNECTION and WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION. It used to list the names of the networks until I restored the complete system as advised by Sony who made the laptop. ???????????
I apologize, I made a typo- it should have been "Manage Wireless Networks"---- I had the screen up to be sure I wouldn't make that mistake, but we're all human right?... And kids can be such a distraction... but I re-read my instuctions again, and verified all should be well.. let me know if this works!! I love helping people.. you may also contact me via. AIM for direct assistance Shawna099

Last edited by shawna.9 : 05-07-2008 at 04:43.
Jeb Jeb is offline

Jeb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Error Message: Connected with Limited Access
HI Shawna, wondering if you are still around to give some help with Vista and lack of internet connection via Wireless LAN... I run a Toshiba Notebook, I was having a few small issues so I decided to give it a spring clean and got the restore disc oys....long story short I have the classic Wireless connection symptoms described above... Can get local access but not Internet.

Machine was connecting fine till the wipe and restore.

Have tried your steps and even plugged ethernet cable in to machine to see if i can a LAN connection but not even that gets to the net.

I have followed your steps for the private network but to no avail.....

Do you have any more tips I could try?

Cheers

Nige