Vista will not boot up on laptop

Windows Vista Home Premium

jhi913 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista will not boot up on laptop
My grandparents today asked if I could help them with their computer because they were getting an error message saying something to the effect of "The System Administrator will not allow you to shut down your computer" i thought it would be an easy problem thinking they just changed a setting with regard to the system administrator.
i got over there and nothing will open up when ever I clicked on any icon it came up with an error regarding the invalid access to memory. Since I could not shut down the computer in anyway, including holding down the on/off button i had to just pull the battery out since I wanted to make sure the RAM was still in the sockets. Long story short I tried to reboot the computer and now I only get a black screen, not even the cursor comes up and the USB ports are not powering up the mouse I can tell because the light is not on on the mouse.
The computer is a Toshiba and it is running pre-installed Windows Vista Home Premium and it is about 8 months old
Thanks in advance for any type of feedback

mentormatt8 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista will not boot up on laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi913 View Post
[...]
Hi there, Yeah, either the memory or the hard disk is acting up. Try this. Leave the laptop on for a while, see if it comes a little further every time..

See Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Laptop won't boot and shows blank screen

karnyks22 will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Vista will not boot up on laptop
jhi913 Hi.
Sounds like the time has come to reinstall windows from the recovery partition. I run a Toshiba L300D and as you have a Toshiba, I hope access to the recovery partition is the same.
With computer completely turned off and the mains power connected hold down the 0(zero) button and turn the computer on. While still holding down the zero button press and hold down the F10 button. Hold down both buttons until your computer starts to beep. This will bring up the recovery partition from where you can reinstall windows back to factory settings.
ps
You will lose anything that you have saved on your computer by reinstalling.

cherrymamajb87 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista will not boot up on laptop
You are a genius...thank you