Vista Display Shuts Down While Real Player Is Playing Video

Windows Vista Home Premium

ulysseus123 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Vista Display Shuts Down While Real Player Is Playing Video
Vista Display Shuts Down While Real Player Is Playing Video

XP Display Does NOT Shut Down While Real Player Is Playing Video

Here's another "Vista display oddity" that I noticed recently, possibly related to the "display shutdown" problem I already described in my recent "Vista Display Won't Turn Off" thread. It involves both the personal photos screensaver slideshow, and the monitor shut-down function.

Perhaps this problem is a direct consequence of the new feature in Vista's screensaver which allows one to use not only personal photos, but videos, as screensavers. Such a capability does not exist in XP Pro SP2, where only personal photos can be used in the screensaver slideshow.

This is my system:
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processors: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.40 GHz)
RAM: 2 GB
Vista Experience Index: 5.0
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT
Monitor: SONY Flat Panel SDM-HS53

I've set up a dual-boot desktop where I run either XP Pro SP2, or Vista Home Premium. By switching back and forth between the two operating systems, I can test how various features / programs work in both environments.

The Vista display shutdown problem occurs whenever I'm watching a long, 55-minute flash (FLV) video in Real Player.

The latest version of Real Player is installed in both XP, and Vista, namely Version 11, Build 6.0.14.794.

In both XP, and in Vista, my personal photos screensaver is set to begin 2 minutes after mouse/keyboard inactivity, and my monitor is set to go dark after 10 minutes of mouse/keyboard inactivity.

Recently, I've been downloading large FLV files from Google Video - - entire episodes of the Charlie Rose show (55 minutes per episode). In Vista, when I play back the saved FLV file from my hard drive using Real Player, and try to watch the full 55-minute show, to my great annoyance, the monitor keeps shutting down every 10 minutes!

However, when I watch the same 55-minute video in the XP environment, the monitor stays on throughout the entire video, allowing me to watch the show uninterrupted from beginning to end!

In XP, I can watch the entire video for 55 minutes without ever touching the mouse or keyboard; the monitor never goes dark throughout the show. Whereas in Vista, I have to jump up out of my seat to move the mouse every 10 minutes, to reactivate the monitor every time it goes dark (5 times during each 55-minute episode).

In Vista, although the monitor goes dark, I continue to hear the audio from the speakers. Real Player continues to play the FLV file, even though the monitor has shut down.

Why isn't Vista "aware" (like XP) of the fact that I'm watching a video in Real Player, and it should not interrupt my watching by turning off the monitor? XP seems to be "smarter" than Vista in this respect.

When Real Player is playing a long 55-minute video, XP seems to "over-ride / suppress" the instructions to start the screensaver slideshow after 2 minutes of mouse/keyboard inactivity, AND it seems to "over-ride / suppress" the instructions to shut down the monitor after 10 minutes of mouse/keyboard inactivity.

For this reason, when I want to watch several Charlie Rose episodes (each 55 minutes long), I wind up using XP throughout most of the day, instead of Vista.

This is not how one gets users who are accustomed to good results in XP to switch to the newer Vista operating system!

I've learned by trial and error that if I use Vista, I'm going to have to jump up 5 times, every 10 minutes, during a 55-minute episode, to reactivate the monitor (by moving the mouse), whereas if I use XP, I can watch the entire 55-minute show without the monitor ever going dark during the program.

Which operating system would you rather use if you had to watch many 55-minute videos? The one that interrupts you every 10 minutes? Or the one that lets you watch the entire show without interruptions?

Is there anything that can be done to get Vista to behave the way XP already behaves, namely, to NOT turn off the monitor (which is set up for 10-minute shutdown in Power Settings) when Real Player is actively playing a 55-minute video?

Somehow, XP "knows" that the computer is ACTIVE as long as Real Player is playing the video, and it does NOT shut down the monitor. Whereas Vista does not seem to be sensitive to the fact that I am USING the computer when I'm watching a video from several feet away. It "rudely" turns off the monitor even though I'm watching the video and listening to the audio from the speakers.

Is there some switch one can turn on, to make Vista aware of the fact that when Real Player is playing a long video (longer than 10 minutes), it should NOT shut down the monitor? XP seems to "know" better than Vista to NOT shut down the monitor while a video is being watched in Real Player.

Is this a defect in Vista? Or in Real Player? Or both? Real Player works fine in the XP environment.

I do NOT want to keep going back and forth into Vista's Power Settings, and re-programming the monitor to turn off after an hour plus (in order to watch a 55-minute video uninterrupted), when I really want the monitor to be permanently set to shut down after 10 minutes of genuine mouse / keyboard inactivity (the way I have it set in XP). What I’d like Vista to “understand” is that when Real Player is playing a video, I am USING the computer. The computer is NOT inactive then! Therefore, Vista should NOT be shutting down the monitor while Real Player is actively playing a video.

Vista should “know better” than to shut down the monitor when Real Player is playing a long 55-minute video that I’m watching. XP “knows” this. Why doesn’t Vista?

Does this have anything to do with the fact that videos can be used as well as photos in Vista's slideshow screensaver? Is Vista somehow interpreting my watching an FLV video as a video running in screensaver mode, and proceeds to shut down the monitor after 10 minutes of such "video screensaver" activity?

I've noticed that in Vista, my personal photos screensaver (which is set to start 2 minutes after mouse/keyboard inactivity) never goes on whenever Real Player is playing a video. However, the monitor does shut down on schedule, 10 minutes after mouse/keyboard inactivity. Is Vista "confused" and mistakes the 55-miinute Charlie Rose video being played back in Real Player as a "video screensaver”?

In XP, if Real Player is open, and is actively playing back a previously downloaded FLV file from my hard drive, then the screensaver never begins, AND the monitor does NOT go dark as long as the video keeps playing; I can watch a 55-minute Charlie Rose show without any interruptions from either the screensaver slideshow or the monitor shutting down.

Is there some control that already exists inside the current version of Vista Home Premium that can fix this display problem? Is this another bug that has to wait to be fixed in a future Windows Update / Vista Service Pack? Or will this problem never be fixed because Vista now has the capability of using videos as screensavers, and Vista will never be able to distinguish the difference between a video being played back as a screensaver, and one being actively watched for 55 minutes?

Thanks for any insights!

ulysseus123
ulysseus123@myway.com

**

mtimber is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Power management problem
Found this, suspect it may fix your problem, I have the same and am going to try this:

Disable Power Management on Windows Vista :: the How-To Geek

Mark

oldchinese is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista Display Shuts Down While Real Player Is Playing Video
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysseus123 View Post
[...]

try MagicScreensavermaster2.0 by Magic Project Software - programs for home and work use

[...]

Forget about Magicscreensavermaster as I find out it is shut-off monitor(in power management) which trobled you.I've tested the screensaver in vista,it actually won't execute screensaver if realplayer is playing movie/video clip,but will execute monitor shup-off(if you set).
I still have no idea how to disable monitoe shut -off without going to Vista's setting.
my solutions are
1)don't think about the relation between screensaver and realplayer because when realplayer acts vista's screensaver won't execute.
2)extend the period of monitor shut off of power management to a longer one which won't interfere your viewing

hope this help