comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!

Windows Vista Home Premium

joeycmiller is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!
I have only had the new laptop for about a month and last night was prompted to restart my computer after installing a program. It has been stuck on the Logging Off screen ever since. At least 10 hours now. I've tried just turning off the computer but when I turn it back on it is still on the Logging Off screen. HELP!!

Thank you.
Joey
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi Joey,

please try logging in as administrator in safe mode and doing a system restore.... please see Using Windows Vista System Restore :: the How-To Geek

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Steve

godsgurl001600 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!
Hi. I am new to this site, I actually just got my laptop yesterday for Christmas. It has Windows Vista Home Premium on it and every time I have tried to shut it down or restart it so far, I have the same problem as Joey, it gets stuck on the logging off screen. I haven't been patient enough to let it go on for 10 hours, but I'm sure it would. I just hold down the power button until it turns the computer completely off. However, I am going to try the System Restore that was offered as a solution. I'll let you guys know how it went.

godsgurl001600 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!
I have come to the conclusion that if I have a program running that is non responsive and try to shut down or restart, the computer will get stuck on the logging off screen. I restarted today without any mal-functioning programs running in the background, and it worked beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsgurl001600 View Post
Hi. I am new to this site, I actually just got my laptop yesterday for Christmas. It has Windows Vista Home Premium on it and every time I have tried to shut it down or restart it so far, I have the same problem as Joey, it gets stuck on the logging off screen. I haven't been patient enough to let it go on for 10 hours, but I'm sure it would. I just hold down the power button until it turns the computer completely off. However, I am going to try the System Restore that was offered as a solution. I'll let you guys know how it went.

soloft is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!
Often times if a computer takes a long time to do anything, it means you need to defrag your hard drive. Manually shut down the computer (you might have been pushing the Sleep button. If you can't figure it out, just unplug it and let the battery run down.) and when you restart it, go to the My Computer or Computer option, right click on your C drive, click on properties and a window should pop up. Click on the tab that says Tools and click on the Defragmentation option. The rest should be pretty self-explanatory.

jackjones6 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!
hey there, I too have he same problem on my ASUS F5GL.
Thing is, I have my turn of button set to sleep..
But it did end up working if I just held it down till it turned off.

Mine failed.. I tried un-installing kasperky anti-vir.
But I had avast installed at the same time, so when I booted up the computer with them both installed, they where running in thr process, but all I could see on mydesktop screen were the normal start up programs.

So uninstallng kasperky failed, so I tried an Msconfig and disabled all programs on start up, except for the important ones..

So I went to restart my computer after applying the msconfig settings and it just stuck on logging off screen, I think I might have to manualll uninstall kasperky, but I'm pretty sure that's impossible because it's an anti vir.

But anyways, my computer is working fine after holding down the off button.
Cheers!

EDIT: On restart, kasperkysuccesfully uninstalled and all is well!

I'll do a defrag anyway, I haven't done one in like 1 year :O
haha.

Last edited by jackjones6 : 06-22-2010 at 01:11. Reason: Wrote the wrong word, added more detail.

Pithecanthropus is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!
Regarding soloft's post #6--I've tried both the standard Windows defrag tool and the one that comes with Tune-Up Utilities. Admittedly, my version of TUU is an old one, 2008 to be specific.

But anyway: both of these tools tell me my disk is only 6% or 7% fragmented and I do not need to defrag the drive. I suspect it's not entirely accurate. I know I can run defrag -w in the command window to force a more thorough defragmentation, but should I need to do this? It's only been a month or so since the last time I did this.

Pithecanthropus is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: comupter stuck on Logging Off screen for hours, HELP!!
RTA: I found another issue which I was able to fix, and now logging off and shutting down only take a few seconds.

If you've been looking for help on this issue, you've probably seen commercial links urging you to update your drivers. Most of these pretend to be free until you actually click on the button to update the outdated drivers it finds. There is, however, at least one truly free one called Device Doctor. It takes a little bit of work since you have to update the drivers one by one, but it was well worth it. (I imagine the tools you have to pay for are more convenient and don't require so much user intervention.)

Then what you should do is delete your old drivers as explained here.

My system runs a lot cooler, too! After over an hour's use my machine is not hot enough to re-warm coffee--I'm ecstatic as I can be under the circumstances, i.e. owning a computer that runs Vista...